Question

  • juanie32_1999 <Juanie@mindspring.com>
    Message 1 of 29 , Mar 2 7:45 PM
      Hi,
      I am working on getting some anime for a film festival at GLBT
      Community Center in NYC. I need to find some videos/DVDs. I need to
      knwo which ones one be the best to show. If there are any women in
      Tristate area that would be interested in speaking about it.
      Thanks
      Juana
    • Eleanor Stevens
      Message 2 of 29 , Mar 2 9:23 PM
        --- "juanie32_1999 <Juanie@...>"
        <Juanie@...> wrote:
        > Hi,
        > I am working on getting some anime for a film
        > festival at GLBT
        > Community Center in NYC. I need to find some
        > videos/DVDs. I need to
        > knwo which ones one be the best to show.

        utena Movie, a personal fave =B it might be confusing
        for the pleebs and the intellegent folk as well ^.^
        but it's a goooooooooood movie ^.^ I think kat and
        Erica will have a few to toss in as well.

        =====
        ~Tita

        "It's Showtime!"-Tita (Plastic Little the Adventures of Captain Tita)

        http://www.mindmeld.iwarp.com

        http://taxes.yahoo.com/
      • Kathryn Williams
        Message 3 of 29 , Mar 3 2:42 AM
          Depends on what you want to show. Do you want them to think that you are
          loonie or do you want to addict them. I don't know what kind of crowd you
          are up against so have no clue what would be safe for you. So far Utena has
          been working if it doesn't leave them lost for the most part. Alien 9 had my
          adience speechless at the ending while Miyuki-chan had them laughing.

          Sorry I can't be of much help. Mind is mush right now. Luck to you.

          jaa ne

          Kat

        • shenotski <duomaxwell@fanboy.org>
          Message 4 of 29 , Mar 3 11:15 AM
            Ah yes the Utena movie. Something tat i'm cosidering for the AMV i'm making
            at Yuri-con Then again there are enough Utena AMVs, perhaps i should do
            an Alien 9 one Assuming that the late night special is on saturday night and
            start the capturing process on Friday. Or I could pull a read or die ot of my
            Harddrive sincei still havent moved the footage off of my hard drive. So what
            say you all on this list? Utena, ROD, alien 9, or something Else? (Note that i
            cannot do a series due to hard drive limitations).

          • atheniag <e.l.f.@ix.netcom.com>
            Message 5 of 29 , Mar 3 1:10 PM
              --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "juanie32_1999 <Juanie@m...>" <Juanie@m...> wrote:

              > Hi,
              > I am working on getting some anime for a film festival at GLBT
              > Community Center in NYC. I need to find some videos/DVDs. I need to
              > knwo which ones one be the best to show. If there are any women in
              > Tristate area that would be interested in speaking about it.
              > Thanks
              > Juana

              Hi Juana!

              I spoke with you this AM, but of course we'll do everyhting in our power to help you out!

              I don't know if you're aware of this, but the New Festival in NYC is running gay and lesbian anime this year, as well.

            • Luke
              Message 6 of 29 , Jul 24, 2005
                Are there any out there that are directly or indirectly with ab
                senerios because although already appealing this would be more.
              • Jen
                Message 7 of 29 , Jul 25, 2005
                  --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Luke" <tb8786@y...> wrote:
                  > Are there any out there that are directly or indirectly with ab
                  > senerios because although already appealing this would be more.

                  o_0

                  http://punistation.fuyucorp.biz/mirror5/SIG-misc15.jpg

                  Kisses XXOOXX
                  Jen
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jul 25, 2005
                    --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Luke" <tb8786@y...> wrote:

                    > Are there any out there that are directly or indirectly with ab
                    > senerios because although already appealing this would be more.

                    Hi Luke -

                    I'm sorry, but I don't think we understand what you are asking. Let me
                    remind you (and everyone on this list) that this is NOT an adult-only
                    list, so please do be careful of requests for adult topics, pictures, etc.

                    If you explain what you are looking for (and it is not an
                    inappropriate topic) we'll do our best to help.

                  • Andi, Andi Spring, Spring
                    Message 9 of 29 , Oct 27, 2008
                      I got my university's anime club to work with the rainbow pride union (campus lbgt group) and we're going to have a yaoi/yuri night. Most likely we'll be showing a few eps of one yuri and a few eps of a yaoi. I was thinking of showing Simoun, but I'm not sure. Any suggestion for shows?

                    • Firia L
                      Message 10 of 29 , Oct 27, 2008
                        So if I were on campus with you, I'd be a part of both clubs for sure. :) I'm lesbian, and a lovely fan of anime/yuri (admitably I am picky though). However, if I were simply a gay woman, and my introduction to Yuri anime was Simoun, I'd find something else to do. Simoun... failed to grab my attention, and actually starting to irk me with some of the anime habits I consider to be bothersome.

                        I unfortunately don't have a better suggestion. =T The only other Yuri I can think of would be Strawberry Panic, for it's absoluteness in terms of Yuri. It's sugary sweet, and that might be more of a failing than a boon when showing it off to a crowd. To me, it's a better choice than Simoun.

                        -L

                        To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                        From: endlessdreamer13@...
                        Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 18:54:41 -0700
                        Subject: [Yuricon] Question

                        I got my university's anime club to work with the rainbow pride union (campus lbgt group) and we're going to have a yaoi/yuri night. Most likely we'll be showing a few eps of one yuri and a few eps of a yaoi. I was thinking of showing Simoun, but I'm not sure. Any suggestion for shows?

                      • Shane
                        Message 11 of 29 , Oct 27, 2008
                          You could always go with Noir or Madlax. The yuri is not as obvious but the action and plot might keep more people interested. Or you could do loveless and make sure you get to the female zero arc and get both yaoi and yuri done in one anime.

                          To: Yuricon@yahoogroups .com
                          From: endlessdreamer13@ yahoo.com
                          Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 18:54:41 -0700

                          I got my university's anime club to work with the rainbow pride union (campus lbgt group) and we're going to have a yaoi/yuri night. Most likely we'll be showing a few eps of one yuri and a few eps of a yaoi. I was thinking of showing Simoun, but I'm not sure. Any suggestion for shows?

                        • Elwin Coldiron
                          Message 12 of 29 , Oct 27, 2008
                            How about G Taste?  One of my favorite yuri series.

                            Blaine

                            Message 13 of 29 , Oct 28, 2008
                              From: bigkwell@...
                              Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 21:27:42 -0700

                              > How about G Taste? One of my favorite yuri series.

                              Is that meant as a joke? The question was about a school anime club and G-Taste is hardly suitable for any school setting.

                            • Wyld Childe
                              Message 14 of 29 , Oct 28, 2008
                                I would recomend Steel Angel Kurumi (season 2 if you want hard yuri) or Kannazuki No Miko... plenty of yuri with the big robots, action and the like people think of with anime.

                                DarkWyldchilde

                                "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for
                                lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"

                                Benjamin Franklin

                              • Jaymie C
                                Message 15 of 29 , Oct 28, 2008
                                  Definitely Kannazuki; i mean, there is a yuri kiss right in the first episode! Sure, it is rather narm that there is also the guy crying out one of the girl's name into the heavens while they kiss at his feet, but...

                                  Message 16 of 29 , Oct 28, 2008

                                    O_O

                                    OOPS!!!

                                    Guess I wasn't reading the original message closely enough!  Forget what I said!

                                    Blaine

                                    > To: yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                                    > From: alecto_fury@...
                                    > Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 09:02:08 -0400
                                    > Subject: RE: [Yuricon] Question
                                    >

                                    > > To: yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                                    > From: bigkwell@...
                                    > Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 21:27:42 -0700
                                    > Subject: RE: [Yuricon] Question
                                    >

                                    > > How about G Taste? One of my favorite yuri series.
                                    >
                                    > Is that meant as a joke? The question was about a school anime club and G-Taste is hardly suitable for any school setting.

                                    > http://www.yuricon.org

                                    > <*> Your email settings:
                                    > Individual Email | Traditional
                                    >
                                    > <*> To change settings online go to:
                                    > (Yahoo! ID required)
                                    >
                                    > <*> To change settings via email:
                                    > mailto:Yuricon-digest@yahoogroups.com
                                    > mailto:Yuricon-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                                    > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                  • Wyld Childe
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Oct 28, 2008
                                      LOL I like to think of that as shock upon seeing the smoochies, but then again he gives the girls their moment at the end so I gotta give him credit. I also think his placement helps because she CHOOSES the yuri when another option is available.

                                      DW

                                      Message 18 of 29 , Oct 28, 2008
                                        Kashimashi lightly deals with themes of gender identity if it's of
                                        related interest, and a same-sex romance is at the heart of the
                                        gorgeous, metaphorical Utena movie--Pachy
                                      • Rinu CZ
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Oct 28, 2008
                                          Hi Andi,

                                          I think it would be the best to choose few episode from different
                                          series if you want to catch a form of yuri and thanks to it tell your
                                          audience what to except. Like someone said, Shoujo Kakumei Utena movie
                                          would be nice move. It's a movie, so they wouldn't feel like watching
                                          only a sneak peek.

                                          Or what about grab couple of yuri series, give your audience a brief
                                          introduction to each series and let them choose? Yuri series are very
                                          different at some point. If I would be an audience, I would like to
                                          see a mixure - Utena (a way of art), Blue Drop (yuri can be sci-fi
                                          too), Oniisama E (old school innuendo yuri), Strawberry Panic (for
                                          rightful selection, fluffy genre), and Devilman Lady (dark yuri for
                                          adults - question is if you can show something like that in your
                                          campus group). Noir or Madlax are interesting without doubt, but I am
                                          afraid that it's one of series where you discover the yuri side in the
                                          progress, not in the beginning (and like I understood you want to
                                          catch them on yuri, not anime ^^).

                                          Good luck with your choice!

                                          With kind regards,

                                          Rinu

                                          Message 20 of 29 , Oct 28, 2008
                                            Ah, and Simoun is an interesting choice too for its yuri and yaoi
                                            connection. By the way, Loveless is yaoi and yuri too (7th and 8th
                                            episode?). It would be neat to show series where are both genres. Just
                                            thinking, sorry for the duple post ^^.

                                            R.

                                            2008/10/28 Andi, Andi Spring, Spring <endlessdreamer13@...>:
                                            > I got my university's anime club to work with the rainbow pride union
                                            > (campus lbgt group) and we're going to have a yaoi/yuri night. Most likely
                                            > we'll be showing a few eps of one yuri and a few eps of a yaoi. I was
                                            > thinking of showing Simoun, but I'm not sure. Any suggestion for shows?

                                          • Nicole Allen
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Oct 28, 2008
                                              OK, being gay, an anime fan, a teacher, the advisor for an anime club (high school) and being one who introduced students and friends to anime; I am going to get on a small soap box (I'm short, so I don't need a big one). I have to take many of these same things into consideration when choosing anime for the anime club or in some cases for showing my classes. When showing it to a class, I have to convince those students of the idea, else they'll just go to sleep. In your case, some people in the lgbt group may already be fans, and then you will have those who think anime is nothing but smutty/cheesy/stupid crap. Noir and Utena Movie would be very BAAAAD choices.

                                              The purpose of this event is to meld together two organizations for the event, entertain, and maybe increase membership two fold; therefore, you want things that people will not have to "figure out" or have background knowledge of to understand what they're watching. Noir doesn't have enough pull, in my opinion, to catch non-anime people's attention. It's also very redundant. The Utena Movie is so packed full of imagery based upon its anime and a plot that is even harder to follow, that people will probably walk out. Kannazuki is ok, but I REALLY hate the fact that the female characters are so weak that they are ALWAYS (-_-*) bailed out by their male counterpart. Not really the message a lesbian would want to see (speaking from experience with my old lgbt organization).

                                              Yes, you may still run into the people who will turn their noses up and would rather walk out to have a cigarette than watch, but these choices could make those choices easier or harder for them to make. Strawberry Panic, Blue Drop, and KashiMashi would work well; I really love Simoun, but that might also be difficult to follow for the novice viewer. My vote would be for Strawberry Panic since it doesn't have too much as far as fantastical elements, it has a little cheekiness, passion and it's easy to follow.

                                              I haven't watched much in the yaoi department in the last few years, so I am of no help there. Note that I am not saying that these choices represent the best or worst of anime, but more and less successful choices for this situation. The best approach in this situation is to think about someone who have never viewed anime, because you want people to STAY and be part of the event and not walk out saying, "see, you can't understand that shit." But speaking as someone who has convinced some of the worst anime haters that it can be good, I step down.

                                              Nic.

                                              To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
                                              From: smfan879@...
                                              Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 09:24:10 -0700

                                              Definitely Kannazuki; i mean, there is a yuri kiss right in the first episode! Sure, it is rather narm that there is also the guy crying out one of the girl's name into the heavens while they kiss at his feet, but...

                                              I would recomend Steel Angel Kurumi (season 2 if you want hard yuri) or Kannazuki No Miko... plenty of yuri with the big robots, action and the like people think of with anime.

                                              DarkWyldchilde

                                              "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for
                                              lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"

                                              Benjamin Franklin

                                              Stay organized with simple drag and drop from Windows Live Hotmail. Try it
                                            • Andi, Andi Spring, Spring
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Oct 29, 2008
                                                The president of the anime club only wants to show two shows: one yuri and one yaoi. I assume that it'll be two or three eps from each show. So unfortunately I can only pick one yuri. My thoughs so far are: Yamibou, Strawberry Panic, or Kashimashi. We're not going to be showingthe whole show at club; the president  doesn't want that, nor is he a yuri or yaoi fan. He was originally opposed to the idea. And he's not going to show it during regular club hours.

                                                Message 23 of 29 , Oct 29, 2008
                                                  Ah, I see, how unfortunate. If it's so, I think your choices are nice
                                                  but in the case of Yamibou, I would avoid to choice it for its
                                                  controversial issue - romantic feeling between members of one family.
                                                  Someone couldn't agree with Kashimashi as yuri, but on the other side
                                                  it's the anime which is accepted by wild audience - like Strawberry
                                                  Panic -, so both should be okay :). And the main character is girlish
                                                  for whole time, after all. I guess it's fifty-fifty now, huh? Hard
                                                  decision.
                                                  Like I said I would present my choices (e.g. SP! and Kashimashi) and
                                                  let others choose. After all, if there will be some complains, you can
                                                  always say that it was them who chose not you, hehe.

                                                  Congrats that you persuaded the president of the club, by the way.

                                                  Rinu

                                                  2008/10/29 Andi, Andi Spring, Spring <endlessdreamer13@...>:
                                                  > The president of the anime club only wants to show two shows: one yuri and
                                                  > one yaoi. I assume that it'll be two or three eps from each show. So
                                                  > unfortunately I can only pick one yuri. My thoughs so far are: Yamibou,
                                                  > Strawberry Panic, or Kashimashi. We're not going to be showingthe whole show
                                                  > at club; the president doesn't want that, nor is he a yuri or yaoi fan. He
                                                  > was originally opposed to the idea. And he's not going to show it during
                                                  > regular club hours.

                                                • Kimberly Thompson
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Oct 29, 2008
                                                    The president of the anime club only wants to show two shows: one yuri and one yaoi. I assume that it'll be two or three eps from each show. So unfortunately I can only pick one yuri. My thoughs so far are: Yamibou, Strawberry Panic, or Kashimashi. We're not going to be showingthe whole show at club; the president  doesn't want that, nor is he a yuri or yaoi fan. He was originally opposed to the idea. And he's not going to show it during regular club hours.
                                                    That's so unfortunate that that the president of the Anime club is opposed to such anime themes. I wonder why.

                                                    Kimberly
                                                    On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 8:33 AM, Rinu CZ <rinucz@...> wrote:

                                                    Ah, I see, how unfortunate. If it's so, I think your choices are nice
                                                    but in the case of Yamibou, I would avoid to choice it for its
                                                    controversial issue - romantic feeling between members of one family.
                                                    Someone couldn't agree with Kashimashi as yuri, but on the other side
                                                    it's the anime which is accepted by wild audience - like Strawberry
                                                    Panic -, so both should be okay :). And the main character is girlish
                                                    for whole time, after all. I guess it's fifty-fifty now, huh? Hard
                                                    decision.
                                                    Like I said I would present my choices (e.g. SP! and Kashimashi) and
                                                    let others choose. After all, if there will be some complains, you can
                                                    always say that it was them who chose not you, hehe.

                                                    Congrats that you persuaded the president of the club, by the way.

                                                    Rinu

                                                    2008/10/29 Andi, Andi Spring, Spring <endlessdreamer13@...>:

                                                    > The president of the anime club only wants to show two shows: one yuri and
                                                    > one yaoi. I assume that it'll be two or three eps from each show. So
                                                    > unfortunately I can only pick one yuri. My thoughs so far are: Yamibou,
                                                    > Strawberry Panic, or Kashimashi. We're not going to be showingthe whole show
                                                    > at club; the president doesn't want that, nor is he a yuri or yaoi fan. He
                                                    > was originally opposed to the idea. And he's not going to show it during
                                                    > regular club hours.

                                                  • Rinu CZ
                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Oct 29, 2008
                                                      > That's so unfortunate that that the president of the Anime club is opposed
                                                      > to such anime themes. I wonder why.
                                                      Kimberly, it's a campus lbgt group ^^.

                                                      When I gave that a second thought, I agree with Nicole Allen. If
                                                      someone want me to show him/her yuri, I wouldn't give him/her
                                                      Kashimashi as an intro to the genre. So SP! is a reluctant but
                                                      probably right choice.

                                                      Rinu
                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Oct 29, 2008
                                                        --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Andi, Andi Spring, Spring"
                                                        <endlessdreamer13@...> wrote:

                                                        > I got my university's anime club to work with the rainbow pride
                                                        union (campus lbgt group) and we're going to have a yaoi/yuri night.
                                                        Most likely we'll be showing a few eps of one yuri and a few eps of
                                                        a yaoi. I was thinking of showing Simoun, but I'm not sure. Any
                                                        suggestion for shows?

                                                        I suggest using Episodes 10 and 11 of Maria Watches Us. These are
                                                        the episodes dealing with Sei and Shiori's relationship and the
                                                        aftermath of the novel "Ibara no Mori" being published.

                                                        It's two episodes, it's a very genuine expression of love, not
                                                        pandering like Strawberry Panic, or surreal like Utena.

                                                        It's also a way of showing a simple, sincere and beautifgul Yuri
                                                        story that doesn't rely on fake kisses or behavior that makes actual
                                                        lesbians cringe.

                                                        (I'd also like to point out, quite randomly and off-topic, that Sei
                                                        is *not* a perv. She does not grope Yumi. She merely hugs her. The
                                                        shift from simply touching Yumi, or putting her arms around her to
                                                        somehow behaving like a dirty old man is 5% in Yumi's mind and 95%
                                                        in fandom's collective mind. lol)

                                                        Hungry for Yuri? Have some Okazu!
                                                        http://okazu.blogspot.com
                                                      • twadli3400
                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Oct 29, 2008
                                                          > (I'd also like to point out, quite randomly and off-topic, that Sei
                                                          > is *not* a perv. She does not grope Yumi. She merely hugs her. The
                                                          > shift from simply touching Yumi, or putting her arms around her to
                                                          > somehow behaving like a dirty old man is 5% in Yumi's mind and 95%
                                                          > in fandom's collective mind. lol)

                                                          (I think Yumi is justified for being slightly paranoid after Sei
                                                          reached inside her uniform to get that rosary out. :P)

                                                          What about the Battle Athletes OVA? You have obsession, deep bonds, and
                                                          even a little gender identity issue. Though I guess that would be a bit
                                                          too subtle.
                                                          Message 28 of 29 , Oct 29, 2008
                                                            --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "twadli3400" <twadli3400@...> wrote:

                                                            > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "atheniag" <anilesbocon01@> wrote:
                                                            > > (I'd also like to point out, quite randomly and off-topic, that
                                                            Sei
                                                            > > is *not* a perv. She does not grope Yumi. She merely hugs her.
                                                            The
                                                            > > shift from simply touching Yumi, or putting her arms around her
                                                            > > somehow behaving like a dirty old man is 5% in Yumi's mind and
                                                            95%
                                                            > > in fandom's collective mind. lol)
                                                            > >

                                                            > (I think Yumi is justified for being slightly paranoid after Sei
                                                            > reached inside her uniform to get that rosary out. :P)

                                                            It's not like Sei reached into her blouse, she saw the rosary
                                                            visible at Yumi's collar. :-)

                                                            > What about the Battle Athletes OVA? You have obsession, deep
                                                            bonds, and even a little gender identity issue. Though I guess that
                                                            would be a bit too subtle.

                                                            That's the issue with a lot of Yuri - the Yuri exists in a
                                                            relationship that builds up over time. It's not one, obvious "zOMG!"
                                                            thing - and when it is, it's usually wretched. :-)

                                                            Also recommended is episode 106 of Sailor Moon S, Sailor Uranus'
                                                            origin episode.

                                                          • Kimberly Thompson
                                                            Message 29 of 29 , Oct 29, 2008
                                                              The president of the anime club only wants to show two shows: one yuri and one yaoi. I assume that it'll be two or three eps from each show. So unfortunately I can only pick one yuri. My thoughs so far are: Yamibou, Strawberry Panic, or Kashimashi. We're not going to be showingthe whole show at club; the president  doesn't want that, nor is he a yuri or yaoi fan. He was originally opposed to the idea. And he's not going to show it during regular club hours.
                                                              Rinu,

                                                              From what she stated above, I perceived it to be that she was talking about the anime club president, not the lbgt president. This a merging of the two clubs, correct?

                                                              Not to open up a can of worms here, although I probably will. I just wanted to comment on a statement that Erica made, "It's two episodes, it's a very genuine expression of love, not pandering like Strawberry Panic, or surreal like Utena. It's also a way of showing a simple, sincere, and beautiful Yuri story that doesn't rely on fake kisses or behavior that makes actual lesbians cringe."

                                                              You have a valid argument Erica. However, as a lesbian myself, I beg to disagree in regards to your statement upon what behavior makes lesbians cringe and what doesn't. Although, many of us, would like to say that we represent the collective in regards to our lesbian community, I highly feel that your making a huge generalization and oversimplication on what lesbians like and don't like, based upon what you like and don't like. In addition, there is just as much diversity in the lesbian community as there is with any other type of minority and I can say that although you and I probably have many similarities, we also have just as many differences. Finally, through this message board and your blog, you make explicity clear what makes you cringe and what doesn't and even though I may disagree with you, I do love you for that, because I do think you bring up a lot of valid arguments.  Yet, I can say, that you do not represent me and you will never represent me as to what behavior I find repulsive as a lesbian.

                                                              Kimberly

                                                              Kimberly