7642Re: [Yuricon] Re: Noir yuri site of the day

  • Chalcahuite
    Aug 1, 2002
      > From: "Erica Friedman" <alecto_fury@...>
      > Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2002 09:58:00 -0400
      > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Re: Noir yuri site of the day
      >
      >> From: "Kathryn Williams" <neko_haruka@...>
      >

      >> Most are rather blind to any Yuri content in Anime/Manga, I've found. I've
      >> actually had people tell me there was no Yuri content in Utena or all
      >> things.
      >
      > I ran across a post that said that the Utena movie wasn't really gay,
      > because neither Anthy nor Utena come out during it. Which made me laugh. :-)

      Yeah, that sounds like wishful thinking. I suppose when Ikuhara continues to
      say that he doesn't want to offer his intent and leave it for the fans to
      interpret, that leaves the door open for all sorts of opinions, regardless
      of whether they can be supported or not.

      >> btw, I've never heard of a US Newtype before. What is it just a translation
      >> of the orginal Newtype or something?
      >

      > It's new - coming out just now. It *supposed* to be a transaltion of the
      > Japanese mag, coming out a week afterwards. I bet Animerica's circulation
      > drops by half that first week.

      I don't know if it is a translation, necessarily, most of the articles and
      reviews have distinctively non-Japanese bylines. I'll have to look at it
      again when I get home, but I do remember thinking that the content was
      specifically geared for English speaking readers. Most of the reviews were
      for anime that has either been released here or is going to be released
      here, and there were articles that seemed to try and explain aspects of
      Japanese culture, like Sumo wrestling.

      --= =--
      Chalcahuite
    • Show all 18 messages in this topic