7203Re: [Yuricon] Re: colleges, universities, lost, confused, drowning blah de blah etc...

  • Lotus-chan
    Jul 5, 2002
      > Oberlin! Oberlin Oberlin Oberlin!
      > The only major drawback is that it's in the middle
      > of
      > nowhere in Ohio.

      <grin> Yeah, Oberlin *is* a pretty cool school...

      Not sure if someone mentioned this already (like
      Shiraishi), but if you're looking to get out of small
      town life, how about applying to the biggest
      university in the States? The University of Texas at
      Austin has 60,000 undergrads (I think), is very queer
      friendly, and it's warm (I remember that being a
      concern of yours), being in the heart of Texas and
      all. There isn't much to do in terms of nightlife (but
      I might have a biased opinion, as I'm originally from
      NYC), but there is a gay district here in Austin, and
      it's a damned liberal town (I was shocked when I first
      got here), but it's still homey enough that the people
      still have that stereotypical suth'n friendliness.
      Plus, you're close enough to both Houston and Dallas
      to just get away to a bigger city on the weekends.

      Academically, UT's programs are consistently ranked at
      the top, so you don't have to worry that you might be
      getting a crappy education. UT grads also make much
      money when they finish...I knew some finance majors
      whose opening offers were 105K annually. It's
      difficult to get in if you're not at the top 10% of
      your graduating class if you're a Texan, but as you're
      coming from out of state, you don't have to worry
      about that. ^_^

      Lastly, if you come to Austin, you'd be able to go to
      Akon (the longest running anime con in the states, I
      believe--at least, it's my understanding that it's
      gone on longer than Expo), UshiCon (fledging con
      that's awesome), and AnimeFest. Three anime cons all
      in one mid-sized town. ^_^ How's that for kickass?

      Hope that helps. Oh, and no, I don't attend UT. ^^;;

      http://sbc.yahoo.com
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic