7107Re: [Yuricon] Re: colleges, universities, lost, confused, drowning blah de blah etc...

    Jul 2, 2002
      >From: "dziwozony" <dziwozony@...>

      I went to Rutgers University which is, like most of New Jersey,
      spectacularly uninterested in *your* issues (because everyone else has their
      own which are far more important to them,) so you're free to do or be
      whatever you want, as long as you don't care if we don't care. LOL

      I'd take that any day over anything-"friendly," because then it means that
      you learn (completely against common sense to my mind) that other people
      give a hoot about you and your issues. Rutgers teaches you the way the world
      is - that you get along by yourself and you MAKE your own
      groups/opportunities/friends...or you don't. And it's no one else's
      responsibility but yours to make your life work.

      That having been said, there is a lgbt group on campus, but I never went. I
      assume the quality of activities had more to do with the current leadership
      than the group's mission as a whole and it could be very active and positive
      right now for all I know.

      My advice to you on colleges is to pick one that fits your *whole*
      personality, not just a part of it - most colleges are gay-friendly, in the
      sense that they are not anti-gay, unless you choose a really inappropriate
      one, like a Christian College, or a really small-town one. But if you like
      the campus, the people, the academic programs, 9 out of 10, you'll be happy.
      Being gay isn't all of who you are, it's a part of of a larger whole. IMHO,
      of course. :-)

      Find a college that suits the whole person, not just a part.

      Cheers,

      Erica (who loved Rutgers so much that she returned for a Master's Degree.
      And I'd go back again if I ever returned to school.)