4906Re: [Yuricon] Re: When was Noir released?

  • Lucy Kennedy
    Apr 5, 2002
      the_judy_justice wrote:

      > --- In Yuricon@y..., "distantskyking" <distantskyking@y...> wrote:
      > > Yeah, it should be "fille." I could go out on a limb and say they
      > > probably just thought "fillette" wasn't girly enough, but I'm
      > > pretty sure they just screwed it up. ^^;
      >
      > I think 'Fillette' is just perfectly fine. I mean, this word is used
      > for young girls or to emphasize a pueril meaning. My guess is that
      > it's heavily related to Utena's pure heart/nobility.
      > I like it very much.
      > It's a word that highlights the contrast between her goal and who she
      > is. Just a girl... with a revolution to accomplish.

      *nod* It makes sense to me that way too. For what it's
      worth, my French dictionary gives 'fille - girl, daughter'
      and 'fillette - (little) girl'. It does seem to emphasise,
      as you said, youth, maybe naivete, which seems to
      characterse Utena in some ways. But then, I have only seen
      1-13, and that a couple of months back now. I need Animesoc
      to lend me the Black Rose arc!)

      Lucy, repetitititititititititious...

      --
      Lucy Kennedy * New College, Oxford