29796First ever same-sex wedding ceremony performed at Tokyo Disneyland

    Mar 5, 2013
      You may remember last year two women applied to be married at Tokyo Disneyland. At first they were told it was okay, but only if one was "the groom." Disneyland reversed the position and, last week,Koyuki Higashi and Hiroko Masuhara had their ceremony. Japan has no recognition of same-sex couples at the moment, but symbolic as it is, this is a historic moment.

      Manga scholar Matt Thorn and his wife were there. He wrote a lovely description of the ceremony, and has graciously allowed me to share it with you. I've posted the picture and his write up on the Yuricon & ALC Facebook page:

      https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151493698242527&set=a.405182097526.206442.52246397526&type=1&theater¬if_t=notify_me

      The brides look absolutely lovely. ^_^