29519Re: Recommendations of indie/obscure/unknown comics you want people to know about

  • mara_papimer
    Jul 1 3:41 AM
      ALSO.

      Steel Fist Riku by Jyutaroh Nishino

      Released in English by the now long shut down CMX imprint this is a not all that serious martial arts comedy about Riku who has the unusual ability to turn her arm as hard as steel.

      Worth finding if you can as it is only 3 volumes long and is genuinely funny in places.

      My main reason for bringing this series up is the protagonist Riku is a wonderful example of a main character for this genre. Mostly playing the strait man but never in a way that is a downer or that saps the energy of a scene and possesses genuine charisma that is works both in and out of the story.

      Also as part of a story in volume two she wears a suit very well.^^

      --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "mara_papimer" <in_the_name_of_union7@...> wrote:

      > Firstly Fruit Machine:
      >
      > http://fruitmachine.smackjeeves.com/comics/1133462/fruit-machine-coming-04-04-2011/
      >
      > High in drama, high in screen tone this is a nice version of a 'love at first sight' story done with a protagonist who is actually narcissistic enough to fall in love strait away convincingly. Also available in Print.
      >
      > Mephistos:
      >
      > http://www.etsy.com/shop/naniiebim
      >
      > Or really anything by naniiebim, I saw these in a shop bought the first one and then was immediately hooked. Although the story itself is simple it is told without any hand holding and with a marvelous sense of pace that holds and releases tension very well. Is also gorgeous which is not bad either.

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic