29109Re: [Yuricon] Re: What's the big deal about Sailor Moon?

  • Ellen Kuhfeld
    Nov 4 12:07 PM
      I've watched all the seasons of Sailor Moon. Got the unedited ADV versions of the first two years, an authorized Asian version of S, the Geneon version of Super S, and a decent fansub of the fifth year. Yes, a fansub -- I'm not about to learn Japanese at my current age and deafness, just to watch the fifth season that Toei won't release to us.

      The Monster of the Week, the lengthy transformation sequences, the opening and ending -- they're relatively harmless. Some of the individual episodes are almost pure story (my favorite is still Episode 31, Luna's Worst Day Ever). But the parts I enjoyed the most were the five or ten minutes with the individual characters. If you look at those, you see them growing over the years. Think of it as The Once And Future Queen, done as anime.

      I've met enough of the first season of Dragonball to think it had merit. Dragonball Z is just shouting, snarling, posturing, grimacing, threatening -- you get the idea. Sailor Moon works all the way to the end.

      On 11/4/2011 1:35 PM, EricaF wrote:

      --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "shenotski" <isaacfrankfischer@...> wrote:
      > I just wish that both series were better(note i am talking about the anime the manga may be a lot better). DBZ draws things out to the point of madness (5 minutes till Namek blows up for several episodes) and Sailor moon had a formula for monster of the week that they repeated and for the most part never deviated from.

      Yes, this formula is still pretty popular for series targeted to boys and girls.

      Typically series targeted to younger readers are prized for forumlas that increase longevity and marketable goods. ^_^

    • Show all 18 messages in this topic