29107Re: What's the big deal about Sailor Moon?

  • shenotski
    Nov 3, 2011
      I just wish that both series were better(note i am talking about the anime the manga may be a lot better). DBZ draws things out to the point of madness (5 minutes till Namek blows up for several episodes) and Sailor moon had a formula for monster of the week that they repeated and for the most part never deviated from.

      There are several similarities to DBZand sailor moon, i remember several people calling sailor moon DBZ for girls and vice versa.

      There is a constant escalation in power in both works (Super Saiyan vs Eternal whatever form the sensei get that season)
      Signature attacks that get yelled out.

      Both series for dramatic effect would kill off thier casts then ressurect them.while this is more common in american comics i can't remember as many japanese ones that pulled off killing charecters off nearly as much as sailor moon or DBZ.

      Going back to escalation according to the plot Usagi will become queen of the galaxy and all the main characters were princesses of the planets they are sensei (only pluto isn't because of science) in DBZ The main characters surpass God and then the Gods of the universe.

      Note that i'm not saying they are the exact same just that there's similarities, a good number of them both on the micro (what's in the series) and meta (Merchandising, sales, episode counts, adaptations, adding letters to the later seasons names).

      > Sailor Moon has been in the top five on the manga best seller lists since it premiered and is #1 again this week.
      >
      > Dragonball was just re-released as an anime and is also doing the same thing - captivating audiences all over again.
      >
      > Pokemon was a different formula. It was a not-terribly popular series in Japan initially, that, after export to western countries, moved back to Japan. It was always more popular as a game though. ^-^
      >
      > I think it already has had an impact...although not as huge, because the anime is not also relicensed and on TV.

      > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Grisznak <grisznakiw@> wrote:
      > >
      > > As a 90's moonie, I don't think so. SM was unique, now there are many
      > > series in the same spirit, but more modern (like WITCH) and better
      > > targeted. Same thing happened to the Dragon Ball. Pokemon was in better
      > > situation, because the games of this serie are still in production.
      > > cheers
      > > Grisznak
      > >
      > > 2011/11/3 EricaF <anilesbocon01@>
      > >
      > > > **
      > > >

      > > > Today I posted an article on Hooded Utilitarian about the impact Sailor
      > > > Moon had on som many people in the mid-to-late 90s and why, although I'm
      > > > not sure the impact can be repeated in full, I have no doubt it will be
      > > > influential once again, now that the manga is being published in English
      > > > once more.
      > > >
      > > > http://hoodedutilitarian.com/2011/11/bigdealaboutsailormoon/
      > > >
      > > > Enjoy!
      > > >
      > > > Link to Sailor Moon Volume 1 in English on Amazon: http://is.gd/MImzNk