28980Re: [Yuricon] Re: Yuricon Mailing List Policy - Please Read

  • Rei Shaw
    Jul 24, 2011
      In Toboso's case, or Nakamura's, no agreements of any kind have been made and scanlators have no rights of any kind to the material they are appropriating. In these cases, the creator is right, full stop. Scanlators have absolutely no viable claim to own what they distribute. When a manga artist says "stop, please, this upsets me" the only ethical thing to do is to stop.

      I do recognize how they are different situations, I was simply talking about the "artists intent" arguement in and of itself... There are many other situations where things are done against an artists wishes Which are not in the legal grey zone of scanlations and fansubs... that was the point I was trying to make.

      I'm not saying I disagree with you, I'm just saying I can understand that there are reasons why they might continue and still feel they're in the right.  They might feel that in the long run they are helping the artist out because fans will buy merchandise etc. If I was scanlating something and the creator asked me to stop, I would... but I can understand dissenting points of view.

      But again when it becomes a harassment issue, they loose any moral high ground they might try to claim.

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic