28927Re: [Yuricon] Please read: Manga Self-Defense 101

  • Ellen Kuhfeld
    Jun 26, 2011
      I don't plan on crossing any borders at the moment, but who knows how long before the TSA starts examining our laptops for the threat du jour? But I keep all sorts of things on an external drive instead of my computer's hard drive. THAT stays home when I travel. A good forensic examiner could probably find traces on my laptop - but they don't send good forensic examiners to operate Customs stations. There aren't enough of them.

      I'm not very worried. If I travel, I'll make sure to scrub the computer. If the border is scary, I'll take my netbook. The worst they can find will be some Wiccan music, and all kinds of details about murder methods, mostly encapsulated in novels. External drives are cheap enough today that you can leave LOTS safely at home.

      Ellen

      On 6/26/2011 2:17 PM, EricaF wrote:

      Hi all -

      I don't know if you've heard yet, about the guy who was detained coming back to the US from Canada, because of manga/doujinshi that he had on his laptop...but you should.

      I've written an article that discusses why this case is so very important for all of us - and what we can do as intelligent humans to be smart and safe.

      http://okazu.blogspot.com/2011/06/manga-self-defense-101.html

      This not off=topic asYuri and BL are especially prone to these kinds of misunderstandings/prejudices.

      I hope you will all read this, and consider helping the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund in defending this person - it could well be any of us.