28867Re: [Yuricon] Re: Suggestions for Learning Japanese

  • miz
    May 15, 2011
      (sighs) I find that as a deterrent from learning Japanese, since I think of Kanji in Cantonese if I read through my Japanese lessons.

      On Sun, May 15, 2011 at 1:22 PM, EricaF <anilesbocon01@...> wrote:

      If you can read Chinese, you're way ahead of most of us here. :-)

      Because kanji are idea/words, I find that I can often "read" Japanese without knowing what the pronunciations are, or how the sentence would be spoken.

      So there will be kanji I know how to read and how they are said, kanjiI know the meaning of, but not how they are said, kanji I don't know, but can guess the context of and kanji that I have no idea at all what they mean or how they are said. As an added bonus, sometimes I know how to pronounce a kanji...but have no idea what it means. This does very interesting things to my head. It definitely does not live in the same place where my brain process my native language. ^_^

      --
      -Linda

      Twitter @animemiz
      http://animemiz.com