28863Re: Suggestions for Learning Japanese

    May 15, 2011
      If you can read Chinese, you're way ahead of most of us here. :-)

      Because kanji are idea/words, I find that I can often "read" Japanese without knowing what the pronunciations are, or how the sentence would be spoken.

      So there will be kanji I know how to read and how they are said, kanjiI know the meaning of, but not how they are said, kanji I don't know, but can guess the context of and kanji that I have no idea at all what they mean or how they are said. As an added bonus, sometimes I know how to pronounce a kanji...but have no idea what it means. This does very interesting things to my head. It definitely does not live in the same place where my brain process my native language. ^_^

      --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Val" <szeweii@...> wrote:

      > Wow!
      >
      > Thanks so much for all the help! I've been memorizing the kana and I think it'll take awhile but I'll get it.
      > As for kanji, I can read Chinese and it's sort of similar. So, I've been able to pretty much make out the meanings. Only thing is, I wind up reading the words in Mandarin! =P Guess I'll have to get used to pronouncing the words the Japanese way.
      >
      > Anyway, thanks again!
      >
      > Cheers,
      > Val

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic