28788Re: RE: [Yuricon] Language of Flowers moment

  • rikashi@gmail.com
    Apr 14, 2011
      One of my favorite movies. Yes I also grinned at the lilies references.

      I've been wondering how lilies became a modern international symbol for lesbianism but couldn't turn up anything with some quick googling. The earliest reference I saw was from 1994: a pink lily depicted in the stained glass windows of a gay and lesbian church in Dallas.

      Is it cross-cultural contamination after the coining of Yurizoku? Or are there some pre-existing influences which led to that usage of lily/yuri. E.g:
      >"In ancient Greece, people regarded lily flower as a symbol of sexuality. The lily flower also had an important role to play in the old folktales. As per the tradition, it is said one always approached an expectant mother with a lily and a rose flower. (The lily would symbolize a boy and the rose would represent a girl.) Thus, if the mother picks the rose, it would be a baby girl or if she would pick the lily, it would be a baby boy!"
      > - http://www.buzzle.com/articles/symbolism-of-the-lily.html

      Perhaps girls that were born after their mother chose a lily were sometimes assumed to be lesbians.

      > /snerk/....and we've now established that Luce likes lilies best.
      >

      > At least for this one reason, I have to like this movie!
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic