28726Re: Nozomi/RightStuf Announces the 1st Revolutionary Girl Utena Box Set

    Mar 15, 2011
      That seems quite reasonable an explanation.

      I would also like to see the movie at Blu-Ray quality, but I recently re-watched it and found it held up really well. Perhaps the issue is the same.

      In any case, TRSI was pretty convinced at the time that no BD for the movie would be forthcoming.

      > On 14-Mar-2011 23:46 -0600, Rei Shaw wrote:
      > > Very nice, but no Bluray release?
      >
      > ISTR being told by a friend knowledgeable in such matters that the
      > masters for Utena are such (16mm film?) that there wouldn't really be
      > any great benefit to a Blu-Ray release (there's no real additional
      > resolution available).
      >
      > I guess the compression would be somewhat better with the more modern
      > codecs available, but since the remastered DVDs have been cleaned up
      > and are already at the maximum possible DVD bitrate (and therefore
      > video quality), it's unlikely there'd be any perceptible benefit to be
      > gained there either.
      >
      > So in short: you could fit the show on fewer discs, but you wouldn't get
      > an HD version of the TV series. (The movie, on the other hand...)
      > --
      > Adam Jones (adam@...)(http://www.yggdrasl.demon.co.uk/)
      > .oO("your a major looser, mr grammar puss." )

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic