28637Re: Hello from a newbie

  • yorufujimori@yahoo.com
    Dec 23, 2010
      Ceci,
      Hey! I'm Your and I am also new (brand new today!). I could not tell you when I became hooked on anime but I discovered yuri when I saw Strawberry Panic a few years ago. I also try to find every track for each yuri anime I watch. It can become obsessive, yes? Anyway, I hope we both have fun on this site and make the most of it! Good luck to the newbies!

      Yoru

      --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "MarthaL" <ceciland2001@...> wrote:

      > I'm fairly new to anime having only seen Miyazaki movies in the past. But on a lark I browsed some corners of the web where I don't usually hang out and discovered anime streaming online. In the past, I'd always blown it off as for angsty teen girls or full of fan service for teenage boys. So I don't know what prompted me to watch, but I did. I think my first anime was Blue Drop. I completely broke down and cried at the ending. Next was Simoun...and that blew me away because the story line was so full of action, yet nuanced at the same time.
      >
      > After Simoun I came to discover that I was wrong about anime. A lot of it may be poorly done, but I had taken a mental short-cut and lumped it all together as unworthy. While it does seem that every story is saddled with pandering to a particular audience demographic and social expectations/mores, I'm amazed at how they managed to shoehorn some fantastic stories between all of the rigid requirements.
      >
      > But, the utter addiction to this genre came from El Cazador de la Bruja. At one point during a pitiful, stuttering, slow, streaming attempt, I heard a song that so totally enchanted me that I could hardly catch my breath, Inca Rose. So I began a quest to find anything composed by Yuki Kajiura and have amassed quite a collection already. Presently, I'm streaming the soundtrack to Madlax OST 2 from Grooveshark while I wait for my CD to arrive. I've probably spent a small fortune on any soundtracks I can find from her (at least by grad student standards). For the last 2-3 weeks, I've literally listened to nothing else.
      >
      > I'm sure the addiction will end eventually. But right now I'm having a blast. I've bought the entire Bee Train "Girls with Guns" set. I started with El Cazador, next I watched Noir, and now I'm watching Madlax. It's the equivalent to listening to an orchestra play variations on a theme. I love seeing how different stories can be weaved from the same plot structure and character types.
      >
      > I'm also getting a kick out of some non-yuri titles like Boogiepop Phantom and Aria. Aria seemed to sappy at first, but somewhere about episode 5 I became hooked....and I mean totally hooked. It's the "Unicorn chaser" to something like Boogiepop Phantom. I've purchased all of Aria and I also have Serial Experiments Lain waiting in the wings.
      >
      > But so far, my favorite shows seem to be the Bee Train ones. I know they're not supposed to be high art or anything, but they're a mystical and fun ride. I get a kick out of the super human assassin skills the women possess.
      >
      > Ah well, I ramble. Verbosity is my forte. Hahahaha! <waves> Hello everybody! I'm Ceci.

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic