28593RE: [Yuricon] Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha the movie 1st review

    Dec 7, 2010
      This will probably go up on Thursday, but can you please send me the Ratings on a scale of 1-10

      Art -
      Story -
      Characters -
      Yuri -
      Loser FanBoy -

      Overall -

      Thanks!

      To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
      From: beaubird@...
      Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2010 18:25:56 -0800
      Subject: [Yuricon] Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha the movie 1st review

      Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha The Movie 1st  BluRay review

      Nanoha the Movie is a retelling of the events of the first Nanoha TV series. While this may not seem like a good thing, it does pay to remember that back in 2004 the first Nanoha TV series was a scattered mess. As a spin off from the Triangle Hearts adult game series the first few episodes were nothing more than a bad Card Captor Sakura clone. Just with a few unsavoury elements left over from it’s source material.

      It wasn’t until later on in the series when Fate was introduced that the series became interesting. She was a dark, mysterious magical girl with a troubled past fighting our main character. So the first thing fandom did was pair them together as a couple. Add in the fact the battles in the final few episodes were done in more of a shonen giant robot style (Complete with giant beam attacks) and the series took a complete 180.

      So seeing that and seeing how the later series were more popular and sold better in Japan, you could see why the makers wanted to redo the original material. And for the most part Nanoha the movie is a superior retelling of the 1st chapter in the Nanoha universe.

      Here the movie creators know what the fans in the series want, action and Nanoha/Fate. Luckily we got both fairly quickly into the movie. Fate is introduced much more quickly in this version, and we have that set up as the central conflict of the movie (with the Jewel seeds relegated to being a plot Mcguffin).  The movie better handles the two becoming friends through fighting, both with better action scenes and better introspection. It makes the pacing much better than original TV, which dragged on till the brisk pace of the last 4 episodes.

      The action is also done like the later entries in the series, and here the movie shows of it’s animation budget. The final battle between Fate and Nanoha in particular is well done and I had a big smile on my face while watching it.

      There is added scenes, including some nice bits showing Fate’s past and training. But the biggest character benefiting from the new material is Precia, who’s motivations are shown more closely as is the accident she had her in past. It fleshes her out greatly and makes for a much better character over all.

      Thankfully most of the more unsavoury stuff from the original is gone too. Except for the transformation scenes which was pretty ick. Thankfully they only appear once for each of the leads.

      The BluRay version of the movie comes with an English subtitle track that is fairly well done. Except for a few nits (Arf is called Alf and the TSAB is called the DAB) it’s well written and easy to understand. The subtitle font is middle of the road, readable but I would of rather had either a bigger black outline or a non-white font color. The picture and sound quality is amazing though, as colors stand out and the animation quality never dips for the battle scenes showing what BluRay can do for animation.

      Nanoha the movie fixes a lot of the problems I had with the first season and keeps what I liked. And adds even more of what I like and reminded me of why Nanoha/Fate became the first Yuri couple I really liked.  I hope we see the same budget and care given to StrikerS when it gets a movie. Highly recommended to Nanoha fans.

    • Show all 2 messages in this topic