28270RE: [Yuricon] Re: Saiyuu no Ryouko: The Continuing Adventures of Yuriko, Issue 66

    May 31 8:18 AM
      > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
      > From: kieliran@...
      > Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 02:06:50 +0000
      > Subject: [Yuricon] Re: Saiyuu no Ryouko: The Continuing Adventures of Yuriko, Issue 66
      >

      > Now that was quite an interesting development. O_o

      I sure hope so.
      This is a good time to bring this up, I think.
      The character of Amba was the specific request of an early Yuricon Mailing List member, Sarahmonster, who was wheelchair-bound and commented back in the day that there were few wheelchair-bound characters. (This was pre-Nunally and Mashiro. And really, there's still not loads, but more than there were.) I promised to make a character who was in a wheelchair, but also said that if I did, she couldn't be sweetness and light and all zen with the world. I wanted her to be bitter, funny and flawed - I also planned for something significant and traumatic to happen to her, because why do we treat wheelchair-bound characters as if they are china dolls? Sarahmonster agreed and that's why we have Amba. I have to say, I really like Amba - she passes my "have them over for lunch test."
      Here's my run down on the main characters and how I feel about them:
      Yuriko - She's got it all and has a delusion about being a selfish, controlling star, when really she's a horribly nice person. Having her over my house for lunch would be awkward.
      Midori - Too smart to be comfortable! She'd be great at a reception, but in my house, I'd be stuttering trying to find something to talk about.
      Mariko - She and my wife would get along well and I don't think it would be safe for any of us.
      Hachi - I finally have enough of a palette about wine that I could probably ask him some questions, but he knows way more about art and history than I do.
      Kishi and Tsukiyama - No way. Business reception maybe, but never in my house for lunch. :-)
      Amba and Chieko - Welcome for lunch, as long as I'm not serving alcohol. Amba's clearly an angry drunk.
      Mayumi - Never in a million years. no way, no sir. She wouldn't be caught dead here, so we're of one mind on that.
      ***
      If I won the lottery tomorrow, the fifth thing I'd do is talk to a toy company about getting Yuriko and Midori figurines made. I'll add it to the list of "dreams I don't tell anyone because they sound silly." ;-)