26892RE: [Yuricon] Re: Maria-sama = porn for loners?

    Apr 10, 2009
      > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
      > From: BlackSkaven@...
      > Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 02:27:11 +0200
      > Subject: Re: [Yuricon] Re: Maria-sama = porn for loners?
      >
      > Erica Friedman wrote:

      > Well - doesn't this mean taking itself seriously?

      Well, no. Setting a story in a setting that is based on reality isn't particularly serious.

      I didn't wear a uniform in school, but I know that many do in the west and a lot of kids in Asia do. My school didn't follow a sempai-kouhai systen (which is all the souer system is, really) but it is extremely common as a part of Japanese culture. I don't see where any of that is either parody or taking anything seriously. These thing, such as old-fashioned private schools do exist. Even in the west. I lived near a very old Catholic school for many years and the girls were subject to strict uniform and behavior rules. Stricter than Lillian's.

      I write a story of a pop idol. It's is loosely based in reality and is set in a whimsically real world. I don't think anything about Snb or SnR takes itself too seriously, either. :-)

      Too seriously in my HO, is something like Gundam Wing, where affected drama and teenage angst are shoved under the cover of a geo-political war with a lot of musing about the meaning of life.

      Also, I find that fewer series take themselves seriously than fans take them seriously.

      I can't personally see that characters who laugh and cry and don't have crazy mecha popping out to combat inconsistent gods is "too serious" but obviiously, as i said, you prefer your series less subtle and more slapstick than I. :-)

      Rediscover HotmailĀ®: Now available on your iPhone or BlackBerry