26877RE: [Yuricon] Re: Maria-sama = porn for loners?

    Apr 9, 2009
       > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
      > From: thirohk@...
      > Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 18:22:50 +0000
      > Subject: [Yuricon] Re: Maria-sama = porn for loners?
      >

      > I think you summarized it perfectly. The reason I could never get into the series is that it's Yuri soap; the characters, with the single, glorious exception of Sei, are all lost in navel gazing. The Shinji syndrome as it's known.
      >
      > To phrase it another way, it's like a Yuri "Meine Liebe", except that it tries to take itself seriously.

      Obviously, opinions are personal and can't be changed by other people influicting their on you, but I'll disgaree with this. Marimite is, IMHO, completely free of taking itself seriously. The woman who created it has created characters who laugh as much as they cry, smile with joy more than through the pain and in general, are the kinds of people I'd like to have over for lunch.

      It is not Over The Top, as KnM and Strawberry Panic are. And it is not not "hit you over the head with the Yuri stick"as those series are. Perhaps that is why you see it as too serious.

      However, as I said, ur opinions do not change (and should not) because other people feel differently. I prefer the realistic personal development of Yumi to Nagisa's non-deveopment and fake kisses with Shizuma. But that's me and clearly, your milage varied. :-)

      > I'd really like to see one episode where, a la Dylan Moran, Yumi comes late to a meeting and says "I knew you were here. Would you like to know where I was? I was at home. I had a bun. And it was delicious because I knew you were here waiting. I've never really liked you, but we have to get through this meeting, so could I get a drink so I don't need to look at you too much?"

      Obviously you are more comfortable with broader comedy, as they say. :-)

      Hungry for Yuri? Have some Okazu:
      http://okazu.blogspot.com

      Windows Liveā„¢: Keep your life in sync. Check it out.
    • Show all 19 messages in this topic