26185Re: [Yuricon] Re: Drama CDs

  • Johann Chua
    Dec 8, 2008
      On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 7:19 AM, iatheia <iatheia@...> wrote:
      > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Johann Chua" <johannconradchua@...>
      > wrote:
      >
      >> The rationale I've heard for one-by-one dubbing is for better lip
      >> sync, which is why Disney animated movies also use individual
      >> recording, despite being done before the animation. Jan Scott-
      > Frazier
      >> (nee Scott Frazier)* has a bit of a pet peeve with the American
      >> animation industry's obsession with perfect lip sync.
      >
      > Ah, yet another weird reason. How can you lip sync something that was
      > translated? Well, you can try, but I sincerelly do doubt the
      > effectiveness of it...

      Way back when we first got Tagalog-dubbed telenovelas, they suffered
      from the "La Traidora Effect" of really bad lip sync. Voice actors
      here mostly do radio dramas and anime, which is much easier to dub
      over than live-action of American animation. Live-action dubbing has
      gotten better, though it's mostly Korean and Chinese dramas these
      days.

      Anime _never_ has perfect lip sync, even in Japanese, since they don't
      really try. Syncing the animation to pre-recorded voices is the only
      way to get it, but that costs ridiculous amounts of money for marginal
      benefit.
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic