25095Re: [Yuricon] Oh-oh...

  • Carrie Robertson
    May 5, 2008
      There is always this certainty--often misplaced--that non-Japanese couldn't possibly understand core elements of Japanese culture.  Witness the decades of withholding Ozu's films from Western distribution.  It is only in recent years that we can see a significant number of this great director's work on DVD.

      This problem is exacerbated  by difficulties in integrating Western resources in corporate decisions.  The classic in my mind is the story of an early powdered cream-substitute.  The company that developed it wanted to emphasize that it was as good as cream, but much less expensive.  So naturally, they called it "Creap."

      Erica Friedman wrote:

      > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups .com
      > From: adam@yggdrasl. demon.co. uk
      > Date: Mon, 5 May 2008 11:33:44 +0100
      > Subject: [Yuricon] Oh-oh...
      >
      > "Lady Sachiko"? Seriously?
      >
      > http://www.animeond vd.com/reviews2/ disc_reviews/ 7361.php

      Did we honestly expect them to just leave it the way it is? No matter how many times I speak to the anime companies, they are bizarrely reluctant to ackwnowledge that the honorifics do not need to be translated. But, that may well have been at the demand of the Japanese licensor - they REALLY do not believe that we can understand honorifics.

      90% of all bad decisions and dumb changes come from the Japanese company at this point. Bad translations, dumb titles, changed names and changed logos - all mandated by the licensor.

      http://www.yuricon. org
      Hungry for Yuri? Have some Okazu: http://okazu. blogspot. com

      "World Shaking" Fanfic - http://www.worldsha king.net
      The Fanfic Revolution - fanficrevolution. blogspot. com
      http://www.windowsl ive.com/messenge r/overview. html?ocid= TXT_TAGLM_ WL_Refresh_ messenger_ 052008

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic