24863Re: Introduction

  • Albert Lunde
    Mar 26, 2008
      > Most importantly though, I am currently working on a graduate paper
      > for my Women Studies course on Gender and Language on Yuri Anime.

      It seems to me that it would be worth looking at related manga
      and novels, because they are more numerous, and it's easier
      to relate them broader tends in writing.

      Lililicious among others have fan-translated a number of recent
      and earlier yuri-themed manga.

      One also might ask questions about what audience various
      anime/manga were targeted at.

      It seems to be a recent "discovery" that readers of male-oriented
      mangazines, are interested in (non-pornographic) series with
      mostly female characters. I'd point to Azumanga Daioh, Nanoha,
      and Strawberry Panic as examples of this (though Nanoha, also,
      spun off of a game francise). These works may be borrowing
      genere conventions from shoujo writing, but the audience
      still affects the fanservice and emphasis.

      There is also interesting material in the area of gender
      reversal/confusion in shoujo anime/manga.

      --
      Albert Lunde albert-lunde@...
      atlunde@... (new address for personal mail)