24126Re: Utena and Academics

  • crimsonlotus20
    Dec 1, 2007
      Zyl,

      Interesting recommendation. I take it you must be affiliated to the
      LSE, because Millennium is infamous for publishing anything remotely
      associated with IR, but with enough post-modern, post-strucutral 'far
      out there' elements to piss off shallow American
      positivists/empiricists. Good thing that it's student-published, too,
      so I suppose there is an article out there called "Images of Alterity
      in Anime: the Japanese lens of new Occidentalism" or something to
      that effect. I would write it, if I had the time and/or inclination.

      Regards,
      MdG

      --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, Zyl <zylelt@...> wrote:

      > Haruchin,
      >
      > There are quite a few academics in the UK who have done work with a
      > anime/manga slant, though not from a theological angle:
      >
      > Dr Sharon Kinsella - http://www.kinsellaresearch.com/ (feminism)
      > Dr Roger Sabin - http://www.shef.ac.uk/ibds/sabin.htm (media and
      > cultural studies)
      > Dr Nicola Liscutin - http://www.soas.ac.uk/events/event37645.html
      (nationalism)

      > Further afield, there's of course Dr Matt Thorn -
      > http://www.matt-thorn.com/ (cultural anthropology)
      >
      > As for publication venues, if you can weave in an international
      angle
      > to it, you can consider:
      >
      > Millennium: Journal of International Studies (http://www.e-
      millennium.ac)
      > see their 2001 special issue on aesthetics and International
      Relations:

      http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/mpg/mjis/2001/00000030/00000003

      > as well as their 2000 special issue on religion and IR:

      http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/mpg/mjis/2000/00000029/00000003;
      jsessionid=3f6ua74jajfdl.henrietta

      > Cheers,
      > Zyl
      >

      > On Dec 1, 2007 2:54 PM, Erica Friedman <alecto_fury@...> wrote:
      > >

      > > ________________________________
      > > To: yuricon@yahoogroups.com
      > > From: haruchin@...
      > > Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2007 11:54:46 +0000
      > > Subject: RE: [Yuricon] Re: Utena and Academics
      > >

      > > > Thanks very much for the URL, Crimson. I'll definitely check
      that site
      > > out.
      > >

      > > You also may want to join the anime-manga research ML :
      right now
      > > and I can't confirm.) This groups is engaged in academic research
      and
      > > dialogue about anime and manga on many levels.
      > >

      > > Cheers,
      > >
      > > Erica
      > >
      > > Yuricon - "For real women who like their women...animated."
      > > http://www.yuricon.org
      > > Hungry for Yuri? Have some Okazu: http://okazu.blogspot.com
      > >
      > > "World Shaking" Fanfic - http://www.worldshaking.net
      > > The Fanfic Revolution - fanficrevolution.blogspot.com

      > > Share life as it happens with the new Windows Live. Share now!

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic