23913Re: [Yuricon] Re: Some (untidy) thoughts on Yami to Boshi to Hon no Tabibito

  • Adam Jones
    Nov 6, 2007
      On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 19:13:54 -0000
      "crimsonlotus20" <crimsonlotus@...> wrote:

      > In re-contextualising this debate, though, I would draw attention to
      > the deliberate dissociation between transcendetal characters and
      > localised characters in the Yamibou series. More specifically, you
      > have the main cast of three women (Hazumi, Hatsumi and Lilith) who
      > are transcendental and are therefore most closely associated to a
      > meta-dimension.

      I'd dispute that bit slightly - Hazuki isn't an part of the meta-world
      as such, she's merely displaced within it for a time. Unlike Eve and
      Lilith she clearly has a home-story and is condemned to remain in it
      eventually. (Which seemed rather forced, I have to say - given that
      she clearly had no problem surviving in the Library, I can't help but
      wonder why she couldn't simply have remained there...)

      > Which is why I thought Yamibou was actually a relatively interesting
      > thematic effort: like the Immortal from Borges' short story, they are
      > in the world but not of it.

      The structure of the series as a meta-story certainly presented all
      kinds of opportunities for the writers to do clever, interesting and
      poignant things with the structure they'd created. However, they were
      clearly far more focused on displaying as much T&A as possible
      (because, let's face it, breast-shots sell to LFBs), so said potential
      went almost entirely under-used.

      In fact, it would hardly surprise me to find a fanfic or two which
      managed to do much more interesting things with the premise than the
      series itself ever did. (It must surely be tempting as anything for
      those attracted to writing insane multiverse-spanning crossovers, for
      starters...)
      .oO("Endangered Animal Shredder" )