23911Re: Some (untidy) thoughts on Yami to Boshi to Hon no Tabibito

  • crimsonlotus20
    Nov 6, 2007
      I very strongly agree on the correlation between plot-space and
      character-space. These are dynamic, inter-connecting strands which,
      together, form the basis of narrative. Which leads us to modernist
      poetry and what could be defined as the "correlative objective": I
      need only say "Oedipus" and you have someone who married his mother
      tears his eyes out in your head, without me having to go into further
      detail.

      In re-contextualising this debate, though, I would draw attention to
      the deliberate dissociation between transcendetal characters and
      localised characters in the Yamibou series. More specifically, you
      have the main cast of three women (Hazumi, Hatsumi and Lilith) who
      are transcendental and are therefore most closely associated to a
      meta-dimension. Conversely, the localised characters they meet in
      each book-world are functions of their environment. They exist to
      prop up the Metaverse. Which is why I thought Yamibou was actually a
      relatively interesting thematic effort: like the Immortal from
      Borges' short story, they are in the world but not of it.
      Stylistically, this reinforces the loneliness and uniqueness of the
      relationship between Hazumi and Hatsumi.

      Regards,
      MdG

      --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "crimsonlotus20" <crimsonlotus@...>
      wrote:

      > Come on, that's below the belt: what does Terry Pratchett have to
      do
      > with Yuri?
      >
      > Regards,
      > MdG
      >
      > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "Ellen Kuhfeld" <ellen@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I would call it, perhaps, bookspace. And I'd only accept it were
      > there an
      > > Orangutan to serve as Librarian.
      > >
      > > Oook - Ellen Rose

      It
      > > occurred to me that the Library theme was actually rather
      > > intelligent. It has been a post-modernist fixation, shared by
      the
      > > writer Borges and philosophers such as Vattimo, that the entire
      > > edifice of human thought is a massive library, stretching out
      into
      > > infinity. People's stories are constantly read and re-read and
      no
      > > book is ever the same after having been read more than once.
      That
      > is,
      > > re-interpreting an already interpreted story is yet another
      leap
      > from
      > > the 'original' reality.
      > >
      > > In this way, Yamibou does something to convey the feebleness of
      > > mortal life (Hazuki herself, who struggles vainly against the
      > nature
      > > of the Universe) and the redemptive power of attachments that
      can
      > > transcend interpretation and become universal forces onto
      > themselves.
      > > I align myself with those fans of the series who found the
      ending
      > > rather touching. There is an almost Ganymede-like quality in
      > Hatsumi
      > > (who, to the best of my knowledge, is a semi-divine being)
      > honouring
      > > her attachment to Hazuki in the only way which is cosmically
      > > feasible: that is, ensuring that her next avatar in Hazuki's
      > > particular book (ie. plane of existence) is born out of the
      woman
      > she
      > > loves.
      > >
      > > This integrates something of a Gnostic/pseudo-Christian element.
      > > Obvious pregnancy motifs aside, when Hatsumi is away, Lilith
      > behaves
      > > like a sort of capricious, flawed Demiurge. Her name, in and of
      > > itself, reflects the rather ambiguous nature of her role
      > (Lilith/Eve).
      > >
      > > In the end, when one takes a meta-narrative key to the plot, the
      > > series is rather enjoyable, inasmuch as it echoes some of
      > humanity's
      > > much cherished myths. There is something quite powerful
      > about 'taking
      > > the plunge' against an unfathomable and uncaring universe for
      > those
      > > one loves. It becomes a Classical descent into the Underworld
      > and, in
      > > terms of conceptual vision, is not bad at all for being an anime
      > > based on an H-game.

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic