23688Re: [Yuricon] Good news, bad news for UTENA on Philippine TV

  • Johann Chua
    Oct 5, 2007
      On 10/5/07, Erica Friedman <alecto_fury@...> wrote:
      > > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
      > > From: johannconradchua@...
      > > Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 19:31:15 +0800
      > > Subject: [Yuricon] Good news, bad news for UTENA on Philippine TV
      > >
      > > There's this weird trend where older dubs
      > > where they changed the names and such were better than newer dubs with
      > > more accurate translations.
      >
      > I've noticed that in English sub/dubs too. Once upon a time there were the subtitles,
      > and a dub track., Now there's dubtitles and in many cases, I think they take more
      > liberties with the text than they used to.

      Dubtitles are especially painful when the dialogue has an entire line
      in English, yet the subtitles are completely different.

      My old dub, new dub comparisons are specifically for the same anime.
      In some cases the rights expired, so a new company is involved.
      ABS-CBN, however, has been doing new dubs because they apparently lost
      or recorded over the old ones. They used to be pretty good about
      giving on-screen credit for local adaptation in anime, but these days
      they reserve that for live-action dubs (telenovelas, Chinese and
      Korean dramas, but not tokusatsu).

      Recently there have been cases of two different Tagalog dubs airing at
      the same time (Machine Robo Rescue, Slayers, Nintama Rantaro,
      Gransazers, Justirisers), or less than a year apart (Sugar Sugar
      Rune). Probably due to less exclusive licenses (splitting up broadcast
      and cable rights) or shorter terms being a lot cheaper.

      > OTOH, I rarely watch dubs of an anime I enjoy, because I far prefer the Japanese
      > seiyuu to the American VAs. I don't mind watching dubs of anime that's running on,
      > say, Cartoon Network, because I'm unlikely to seek those series out and watch the
      > original. Plus I get a masochistic thrill from listening to North American VAs destroy
      > the names through awkward pronunciation. :-)

      The really good American VAs usually don't do anime since anime dubs
      are almost all non-union jobs. And even if you do get them, they're
      used to recording voices before the animation is done (American
      animation dubbed in other languages always seem a bit off to me, for
      this reason). Seiyuu are trained to do afureco.

      Bishounen voiced by women in Japanese tend to be played by men in the
      English and Tagalog dubs I've heard. A lot of the local voice
      actresses do boys' voices, but only Charmaine Cordoviz Sagrado
      actually does full-blown androgynous voices (Eagle Vision, Hao
      Asakura, Ryoma Echizen), which comes in handy for bishounen who are
      actually bishoujo.
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic