23686RE: [Yuricon] Good news, bad news for UTENA on Philippine TV

    Oct 5, 2007
      > To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
      > From: johannconradchua@...
      > Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 19:31:15 +0800
      > Subject: [Yuricon] Good news, bad news for UTENA on Philippine TV
      >
      > There's this weird trend where older dubs
      > where they changed the names and such were better than newer dubs with
      > more accurate translations.

      I've noticed that in English sub/dubs too. Once upon a time there were the subtitles, and a dub track., Now there's dubtitles and in many cases, I think they take more liberties with the text than they used to.

      OTOH, I rarely watch dubs of an anime I enjoy, because I far prefer the Japanese seiyuu to the American VAs. I don't mind watching dubs of anime that's running on, say, Cartoon Network, because I'm unlikely to seek those series out and watch the original. Plus I get a masochistic thrill from listening to North American VAs destroy the names through awkward pronunciation. :-)

      I remember when I got the first Mai HiME DVD and we switched to the dub track just long enough to hear Shizuru kill 4 words, then screamed and went back to the sub.

      I also remember when we got the Japanese volumes of Fushigi Yugi because Miaka's American VA was annoying the crap out of us, only to find that the Japanese VA was just as annoying. lol (Miaka was played by Araki Kae, who was also notably annoying as Chibi-Usa in Sailor Moon.)