22876Re: [Yuricon] The real meaning Of Yuri/Shoujo ai

  • Chalcahuite
    May 29, 2007
      On May 29, 2007, at 8:44 PM, Freddy J. wrote:

      > Well I'm sure we all know what to expect when we hear a anime is Yuri
      > and shoujo Ai. But what makes an anime shoujo ai.

      As far as I'm concerned, the term shoujo-ai needs to die a quiet
      death, alone in small, locked cell somewhere with the key lost.
      There's no need to use the term shoujo-ai when yuri covers it all.
      Erica already explaind the etymology of the term shoujo-ai in a prior
      post earlier today, but I'll copy it here, because I'm nice. ;)

      > Shoujo-ai

      This is a term that was coined in the late 1990's by an American
      woman who was a fan of what was then called "shounenai" (now more
      commonly and properly referred to as Yaoi, or Boy's Love.) She and a
      number of other fans did not want to admit that they liked Yuri, as
      they interpreted that to mean "lesbian porn for guys" so they created
      a term that was an analog to "shounenai" (Boy Love) which was
      "shoujoai," i.e., Girl Love. Because the bias against the word Yuri
      was so strong, it became accepted that "shoujoai" stories were
      romantic and sweet while Yuri was explicit sex - this way these women
      could say that they liked, say, Haruke and Michiru from Sailor Moon,
      but they weren't "Yuri" fans.

      Since the word shoujoai was made up here in the west and never used
      in Japan at all, and because the word "Yurizoku" (Yuri tribe) was
      originally coined to describe lesbians, not lesbian porn, I decided
      to use Yuri, as opposed to shoujoai, when I created Yuricon to
      celebrate this genre. In a sense, I was "reclaiming" the word -
      taking it back from the LFBs who had pre-empted it, and using it
      blatantly in front of the women who were too precious to admit they
      liked watching the girls kiss. Hence, the genre I pioneered is
      "Yuri," not "shoujoai."

      Ironically, some publishers in Japan now use the English term "Girls
      Love" to denote the category - as an analog to "Boys Love." How
      freakishly full circle, huh? :-)

      > Ok well its a big DUH
      > that shows like Kasi Masi and strawberry Panic are shoujo ai.

      No, I'd call them yuri anime. And I'm pretty sure they were promoted
      as yuri anime in Japan.
      > One show
      > someone said was shoujo ai was a show called:El Cazador de la Bruja
      >
      > Its a very good show so far with great, sometimes funny, characters
      > and the story is very well made. AFter watching 8 episodes of it
      > though
      > i don't see why it would be classified as a
      Yuri anime
      > since there is no
      > relationship between the two girls be-sides friends.
      >
      > If you can help explain the reason I would be very glad to read it.

      With that little correction, I'd say I'd have to agree with you. At
      this point there's very little to suggest that El Cazador is a yuri
      anime, though Nadie and Ellis are very slashable, especially after
      episode 7. There's 19 more episodes, and to be perfectly honest, I
      think we had just as much to go on, if not less, when Noir first
      aired, and we all know how that turned out.
      The reason this series gets mentioned in yuri circles, is the simple
      fact that this is the 3rd part of the BeeTrain/Koichi Mashimo "Girls
      with Guns" trilogy that includes Noir and Madlax. Both of those shows
      had very strong yuri subtext, so the logic goes, that if El Cazador
      follows the same patterns, it too should have some yuri subtext.
      So, in short, be patient and let's just see how this one plays out.
      At very least it does not suck.

      -==-
      Serge
      "Visually Impressive!" -- Precocious Curmudgeon
      http://ximatl.blogspot.com
      http://albikal.blogspot.com
    • Show all 22 messages in this topic