20035Re: [Yuricon] Mai Otome 18 (Bubble, Bubble, SPOILS and Trouble)

  • Chalcahuite
    Feb 14 11:40 AM

      On Feb 14, 2006, at 12:19 PM, Aaron the PK wrote:

      --- Chalcahuite <ximatl@...> wrote:

      On Feb 13, 2006, at 3:00 PM, Aaron the PK wrote:

      --- Chalcahuite <ximatl@...> wrote:

      Fallout from OMGWTFBBQ!!!!!111one 17 this week,
      focusing on the once
      and future Queen of Windbloom.

      *
      *
      *
      *
      *
      *
      *
      *
      *
      *

      *
      *
      *
      *
      *
      *
      *
      *
      *
      *

      Another plot hole/nitpick: Yukino states that Nagi
      didn't violate any international laws.  How is
      conspiring with a terrorist organization to invade
      country NOT a violation of international law?

      Two answers for you: 1) International Law is a
      diplomatic nicety, to
      be used and abused while you reach for your big
      stick. 2) Audience
      privilege, we get to see and know more than the
      characters.

      1) ehhh... yeah, but he still broke them.

      The thing is International Law is honored solely at the discretion and good faith of individual nations, because no nation is going to give up even the tiniest bit of their sovereignty to any international body to enforce said laws, ever. The only way an International Law can be enforced is for other nations to put pressure (economic, diplomatic, or military) on the misbehaving nation to comply, if said other nations agree on the type of pressure to be exerted.

      2) I can't imagine the other countries didn't know
      about this to at least some extent.  Maybe not the
      whole thing, but Nagi imprisoning all of the otome and
      blocking off Gardarube is just a little bit
      suspicious.

      Maybe, we're only treated to brief shot of his spin, but little reaction from other nations. Though there's a brief scene with Argoss contemplating Nagi's move and he's clearly scheming something, which I'm betting will probably be a unilateral move, probably military in nature. I wouldn't be surprised if other nations thought the same thing, and try to steal Nagi's thunder and not necessarily attempt to make him comply with International Law. Because if Nagi isn't playing by the rules, why should they?

      But after more thought, they probably aren't doing
      anything because no one else has a useable Otome.
      Basically, Nagi has unlimited nukes, and everyone else
      has none.

      Why Yukino didn't just say so, though, is beyond me.

      Because to a lawful citizen like Yukino, International Law is a very important matter not to be taken lightly. She would probably require a resolution from the council before taking any action, just to be safe.
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic