19941Re: [Yuricon] Mai Otome 16 SPOILERIFFIC

  • Aaron the PK
    Jan 31, 2006
      --- Chalcahuite <ximatl@...> wrote:

      > On Jan 30, 2006, at 11:09 PM, Aaron the PK wrote:
      >
      > *
      > *
      > *
      > *
      > *
      > *
      > *
      > *

      > *
      > *
      > *
      > *
      > *
      > *
      > *
      > >> an
      > >> exodus? featuring Windbloom citzens, Mashiro, Rad
      > >> holding Mikoto,
      > >> Spiky Haired kid and Dyne,
      > >
      > > I still think that Spikey Haired Kid (which is the
      > > street urchin from episode 11 and the kid that
      > cried
      > > when the old woman died last episode. The kid's
      > > gender is ambiguous at this point and her hair
      > seems
      > > too dark to be Alyssa, but the kid probably hasn't
      > had
      > > a bath in years and her hair is dirty.
      >
      > The official site names her as Mimi, but the profile
      > is pretty
      > sparse, other than she's voiced by Mikoto's seiyuu.

      Something about her face looked like Alyssa's. But if
      she's played by Mikoto's VA, that could mean something
      significant. Even though she isn't Alyssa, I was
      correct that she would return later and have some
      significance, at least. I still think that
      locket/pendant that she tried to steal from Nina had
      some significance simply because Sergei's informer
      found it and knew it was Sergei's.

      > > And considering the events at the end of this
      > episode,
      > > it seems very likely that they are in exodus.
      >
      > Actually, it will be more of an exile than an exodus
      > if the future ep
      > spoilers are accurate.

      Not much of a difference.

      > >> the Midori
      > >> Sentai 5, the 5 Pillars, yes all 5 of the them (2
      > >> unknown, Natsuki,
      > >> Shizuru, and Spidergirl, uh, I mean Nao, yes, I
      > said
      > >> Nao)
      > >
      > > You have no idea how happy I am that Nao became a
      > > pillar. This probably means she's even more
      > powerful
      > > now and will get to kick more ass.
      >
      > In a hideous, hideous outfit. The first ass she
      > should kick is the
      > costumer designer's.

      I didn't pay much attention to her outfit. The two
      mystery girl's outfits drew my attention more. I was
      just happy that Nao was one of the Pillars.

      > >> fade in the montage of Windbloom citizenry
      > >> receiving the black
      > >> letters, including someone at Windbloom castle,
      > and
      > >> someone wearing
      > >> an Coral uniform. Insert wild speculation about
      > >> Tomoe, Erstin, and
      > >> the rest of Arika's class here. (My bets: Tomoe
      > the
      > >> frontrunner,
      > >> Irina the dark horse, though most people are
      > >> thinking Erstin, as you
      > >> will see.)
      > >
      > > Erstin seems a very likely candidate. I don't
      > think
      > > it's Tomoe though as that would almost be too
      > obvious.
      >
      > Just because it's obvious doesn't mean that they
      > won't go there.
      > Given how Tomoe's been developed, it just seems
      > natural for her to go
      > that way, and the black letter is just recognition
      > that she has the
      > goods Smith is looking for, though I think she needs
      > to expand her
      > vision. She really should become a Go Nagai style
      > villianess at this
      > point. I would like her at lot more if she did.
      >
      > > Erstin would make the most sense precisey
      > > because she is so close to Arika and Nina. The
      > other
      > > two possible suspects in my mind are Irina and
      > Yayoi,
      > > but Erstin seems the most likely.
      >
      > I just don't buy Erstin as a villain of any sort. I
      > don't think she
      > has it in her. I can see Irina being seduced by the
      > offer of
      > technology, but even still, Tomoe is still the best
      > candidate, given
      > all the development they've given her in that
      > direction.

      I can only see her as the recipient if my idea about
      the Black Letters subjugating the will of the user was
      correct.

      > > Another possibility is that Arika was the
      > recipient.
      > > This would especially make sense if Arika is an
      > > articifial being or experiment planted by the
      > Black
      > > Letter group as you have suggested.
      >
      > Not my theory, that one is MellowRG's.

      Oh, my mistake.

      > > I have two possible explanations for this. First,
      > > this could be a result of her getting the Black
      > > Letter. The exact role of the Black Letters is
      > > unclear at this point. The natural assumption is
      > that
      > > they are sent to sleeper agents telling them its
      > time
      > > to do their job.
      > >
      > > But I don't think it's that simple. I suspect
      > that
      > > the Black Letters actually subjugate the will of
      > the
      > > recipient and force them to carry out Mr. Smith's
      > > will. Everytime someone has recieved a Black
      > Letter,
      > > we only see the person's hands opening the letter
      > or
      > > holding it. I don't think we have ever seen their
      > > faces as they open it.
      >
      > Episode 7 when Arika first started working
      > construction. The foreman
      > delivered an envelope containing a black letter to a
      > guy pushing a
      > wheelbarrow. He opened it, saw what was inside, cut
      > to his surprised
      > reaction and he hurried off so as to not alert the
      > foreman what was
      > in his letter. That was the only time we saw a
      > reaction shot, and he
      > was one of the standard SLAVE master, as it were, so
      > I think they are
      > initially sleeper agents, but if they use a crystal,
      > we know that the
      > power in the crystal tends to consume them,
      > especially the new ones.

      I couldn't remember if they showed that guy's face or
      not. However, Nagi and Mr. Smith were talking about a
      new kind of Black Letter (or maybe it was the new
      Slave, but I think it was a new letter) which could
      have been my Will Subjugating Letter.

      > > My second theory is this. Erstin and Tomoe are
      > both
      > > heavily implied lesbians. What if the two of them
      > had
      > > a relationship in the past?
      >
      > I don't think these two hooked up before. If
      > anything, Erstin might
      > recognize a kindred spirit and be hesitant about
      > that, but, as Zyl's
      > mum said, the reason is probably that it's still too
      > early to catch
      > Tomoe as the villain. ;)

      > >> Nina is by the gazebo singing the Harmonium
      > >> song, that
      > >> everybody knows. As she winds down, Erstin and
      > Arika
      > >> start up the
      > >> other verse.
      > >
      > > The Harmonium only needed three "Keys" right?
      >
      > The hints: the three circles, only two lighted,
      > Nina, Mashiro and
      > Arika knowing 3 different verses to the same song,
      > seem to suggest
      > that the Harmonium requires 3 people, but we don't
      > know for sure yet.
      >
      > > Didn't
      > > Mashiro also know part of the song?
      >
      > Yes, she knows an entirely different verse from Nina
      > and Arika.
      > Erstin only learned the verse that Arika knows.

      I had thought that, but the Doremi sub had Arika
      saying that they all knew different parts of the song.
      On hindsight, this was probably just a translation
      error.

      > >> We get treated to another Nina
      > >> flashback, where she is
      > >> holding a gun at Sergey, and he is extending his
      > >> hand, blood dripping
      > >> down his forehead.
      > >
      > > Which explains Sergei's nifty little scar.
      >
      > Possibly. Nina was shakily holding a gun, while
      > Sergey was extending
      > his hand and presumably trying show her that he's
      > safe, and there's
      > nothing to fear. But, we still don't how he got it,
      > and it doesn't
      > look like the type of wound a grazing bullet might
      > make.

      Perhaps she was unable to fire the gun and hit him
      with it instead. Regardless, I think she saw
      something significant when they met. I think Sergei
      lost his gun in a scuffle with someone (I suspected
      Rena, but was unaware of the age differences) and Nina
      was scared of Sergei because of seeing that.

      > > Here's
      > > some food for thought: What if Nina saw Sergei
      > kill
      > > Rena (or someone else) and then tried to shoot him
      > in
      > > fear?
      >
      > I think Rena was dead long before Sergey came of
      > age.

      I was thinking this because of the opening showing
      Sergei over her dead body. Again, I was unaware of
      the age difference between the two.

      > > It would really have to pull some
      > > amazing stuff for be to call it "better than
      > HiME",
      > > but if it keeps things up it will certainly be
      > close.
      >
      > If we don't get a reset, then it automatically
      > places a notch higher.

      While I felt the first episode or two where better
      than HiME's opening episodes, I'm unsure on the other
      early episodes. I'll wait until Otome is over and I'm
      rewatching (the legit release of) HiME.

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Show all 19 messages in this topic