19360RE: [Yuricon] Mai Otome 6 SPOILERS

    Nov 12, 2005
      >From: Chalcahuite <ximatl@...>
      >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [Yuricon] Mai Otome 6 SPOILERS
      >Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 17:52:02 -0500
      >
      >Pools, swimsuits, and fanservice. Oh my!
      >
      >*
      >*
      >*
      >*
      >*
      >*
      >*
      >*

      >*
      >*
      >*
      >*
      >*
      >*
      >*
      >*

      >First things first: Erstin apparently doesn't mind if Nina touches her
      >inappropriately. Erstin goes on the list.

      Already noted.

      >Arika is very successful in getting Nina to be animated. ;) And despite
      >her protests I think she likes Arika. Nina gets to be Natsuki in this
      >epsiode. I think the preview even discusses this. Things happen to Nina to
      >constantly thwart her in efforts to be cool and aloof. Arika and Nina's
      >rivalry is definitely fun.

      It's interesting that we're told that only one girl goes on to be an Otome,
      because there seem to be plenty of Otome hanging about. Maybe the lesser
      non-Meister Otome aren't quite as cool, but there is pretty much no doubt
      that these two will break the rule. I have no doubt that they will both
      become Meister, and friends, although Nina will be damned before she ever
      admits.

      They remind me of a story I read a zillion years ago about two rivals who
      meet in school and compete for everything They get married, and compete,
      they get two copies of the Times Crossword (UK, not NY) and compete every
      morning. And when they get old, the woman, who was always JUST slightly
      ahead of her husband dies, he finished the crossword, then dies too, leaving
      a note that at least he fiunished it first this time.

      >I think Yukariko assigns both Nina and Arika to Nao, after having to put
      >the smack down, double arrow style, on them.

      Also to force Nao to become responsible for something. Nina would never ever
      get in trouble if it weren't for Arika. She'd always feel responsible for
      Nao's misbehaviors, in fact. Since as a pair Arika and Nina are trouble with
      a capital 'T', it'll make Nao have to be onee-sama like.

      >Shiho is a bonafide nutjob. Her over the top antics makes me think that
      >she'll have little to do when the main plot kicks in. Though, I imagine
      >that, like Haruka in Mai-Hime, they'll throw in a moment when the series
      >gets darker that makes you root for her. Oh, in her maki- maki book Nina's
      >and Arika's name are on one page, but the left hand page, is titled
      >�‚��ƒ��ƒ��‚��ƒƒ�ƒˆ������������
      >(Juliet maki-maki), meaning Nao.

      Arika's only three maki-maki's though - very low on the list.

      I really hate the obviously insane and harmful, but we let 'em stay
      because...who knows? type.

      In M-H, Haruka was psycho, but not harmful. Shiho was harmful, but in a
      perfectly normal girl way.

      >Shiho transports, somehow, these invisible eel like creatures to the
      >school's pool, to take advantage of Nina's newly discovered weakness,
      >(thanks Arika for telling the entire school), and knock her down a few
      >pegs.

      Well, come on - if you knew the too-perfect class star's weak points,
      wouldn't you say?

      So, when Nina and Arika's class have their
      >lesson in the pool, these eel things begin to swim past the girls in
      >wholly inappropriate ways. This is where Erstin's admission comes in, as
      >we see an eel swim between her legs, and she makes the leap/wish that
      >Nina, who's standing behind her, did it. Nina's reaction is to immediately
      >check to see if Erstin is feverish.

      That actually made me laugh out loud. The rest of the fanservice only made
      me make scrunchy face.

      >Nina wakes up in the infirmary, and I'm not sure why, but she's naked
      >under the sheets. And practically everyone is there when she wakes up.
      >This is where that still shot of Erstin's unorthodox CPR comes in. I'm not
      >sure if Nina's upset because it was her first kiss or that she had to be
      >rescued. Erstin probably thinks it's the former.

      It's probably that her father wasn't the one to give her that
      oh-so-important first mouth-to-mouth.

      >The eels through a label switch end up becoming a huge tentacle monster.
      >Shiho, Erstin and Nina get caught by it, but only Erstin and Nina are
      >molested by it. Cue drooling fanboys.

      Well, Shiho - yuck.

      I think Midori is trying to kill them all off.

      >I don't think there's a character I dislike at this point, and it seems to
      >me Mai-Otome is a better series at this point than Mai-Hime. I'm not sure
      >if the writing team is the same, but if it is then, clearly, they have
      >learned something from doing Mai-Hime. I don't think they're ROD-TV level
      >yet, but it doesn't suck and that's saying a lot.

      There's no Tate. He's become a nice, not schlubby guy and is pretty much out
      of the romantic running, so as to not complicate things.

      It imporves the scenery quite a bit.

      M-H was based on the various sadnesses of Mai, M-O seems to be based on the
      usual challenge for someone wholely unsuitable, yet with a destiny, to be
      the best...whatever. It's easier on the nerves.

      >Nao is talking to Arika at one point and mentions that meister otome can
      >subsitute for a nation's military. The shot we see during this appears to
      >be of Shizuru and the city burning below has a clock tower that reminds me
      >of London.

      The city the school is in has the Flatiron building. I love that building. A
      friend of mine works there - it's all bizarro angles in the offices.