19278Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

  • Andy00@aol.com
    Nov 1, 2005
      The sequel to this series recently came out, Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A.   ...so far, the episodes have been AMAZING.  Magical girls with fight scenes that make traditional shounen jealous.

      SOOO, I downloaded the original series.   Holy cow, why was I not informed how awesome this is?

      It's...Star Ocean with magical girls.   IE, a total blend of science and sorcery.   Unlike Star Ocean, they don't call magic "symbology." Heh.

      Spoiler space just in case.  I don't think I did anything too serious.
      .
      .
      .
      .
      .
      .
      .
      .
      .
      .
      .
      .
      .
      .
      .
      .

      There's a rather traditional Figure 17-esque plot.   Powerful artifacts (remnants of a lost civilization) called "Jewel Seeds" have been lost on Earth, and the fellow who's trying to recover them enlists the help of the most powerful force in the universe, a pre-teen girl.  The technology he gives her conforms to how she views magic, and she becomes a magical girl.   The seeds react to people's emotions, and those untrained (ie everyone) tend to result them into turning into monsters.

      That's just the side-plot.

      The conflict comes with Nanoha's rival, a "dark magical girl" (they just call her a black mage) named Fate Testarossa.  Ruthless but honorable, she's gathering the seeds for the one she calls "Mother."  She tries to prevent anyone innocent of the conflict from getting hurt, despite Mother's insistence that anyone in her way be destroyed.  She also loves her Familiar, a wolfgirl named Arf very much.  Unlike most "dark" Magical Girls, she's NOT unstable.   ...that's the problem.  (Stability also means a situation is unlikely to change.)

      At first, Nanoha is just fighting to protect her town, but she's drawn to Fate.  How can someone so strong, so honorable and so beautiful have such pain in her eyes? (her words)   She'll find out, even if the only way to get close to Fate is to fight her.    And she WILL save Fate, even if the Light and the Dark don't care if she lives or dies.