18798Re: [Yuricon] Digest Number 1588

  • Trishane Lee
    Sep 7, 2005
      When I buy manga they tend to have Shounen-ai and Shoujo-ai printed on the binding so that is how I refer to them when catorigaizing them

      Johann Chua <johannchua@...> wrote:
      On Tue, 2005-09-06 at 09:00 -0700, Claude Smith wrote:
      > These phrases have come into use in Western fandom for use
      > in describing these pairings and relationships, and it
      > seems odd for us to judge them by the official Japanese
      > usage. Our own use of them (however incorrect by "real"
      > standards) has its own legitimacy.

      The problem is that they're not even widely used enough to be considered
      part of English.  English is lingua franca so other languages making use
      of non-standard English is to be expected, never mind all the various
      Englishes in use around the world.

      Japanese is the official language in just one country so it's best to
      stay true to the source.

      http://mail.yahoo.com

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic