17164Re: [Yuricon] Glossary of Terms - at least partially on-topic

    Feb 6, 2005
      >From: Resop <resop2@...>
      >To: Yuricon@yahoogroups.com

      >If femmeslash and slash are used to describe works where characters from
      >western shows are thrown together in non-canonical relationships, then
      >what would the term be for throwing anime characters together?

      Usually it's yaoi or yuri (or one of the related terms) fanfic, here in the
      west.

      I can't say that I've ever seen a single word in English that represents
      just anime character non-canonical fanfic. And slash and femmeslash aren't
      any and all non-canonical relationships, they are specifically gay and
      lesbian ones.

      (Fanfic is called "shousetsu" (i.e, short stories, or novels) in Japan. If
      we get into the complexities of how Japanese fans label their stories, we
      could be listing stuff for *decades*.)

      >I have heard "cross" used in this capacity, as in Serina x Rei. Is that an
      >official term?

      There's no official terms for any of this. Who would decide? :-)

      But in the above case, most folks would call it yuri or shoujoai fanfic.

      PS - Usagi x Rei, or Serena x Raye. Let's get our versions straight. LOL
    • Show all 27 messages in this topic