15354Re: [Yuricon] Re: Jubei-Chan 2 or Absent Mothers

  • Chalcahuite
    Jun 9, 2004
      On Jun 8, 2004, at 5:17 PM, anthyroserain wrote:

      > --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "donnaneely" <donnaneely@y...> wrote:
      >> I guess I am stuck on Absent Mothers since the last 3-4 shows I
      > have
      >> watched/am watching have absent or dead mothers - Jubei Chan,
      > Niea_7,
      >> Air Master, Koi Kaze - so I am seeing a fearful trend of Heroic/or
      >> leading girls only becoming so without mothers???
      >>
      >> Am I crazy or IS there a trend of this in Anime/Manga?
      >
      > It may be true of boy characters as well. I remember someone writing
      > an article in our local newspaper about the trend in general in
      > animation of absent or dead mothers. The author cited numerous Disney
      > films as examples. Just think- Aladdin, Bambi, The Little Mermaid,
      > Mulan, Beauty and the Beast, etc., not to mention numerous "wicked"
      > stepmothers. I suppose it must be a holdover from the orphans of
      > children's literature, self-reliance and all that. But why always
      > mothers?

      Some vague ideas that someone with a academic background and propensity
      for research could probably articulate better.: There is prevailing
      notion that mothers are the primary caretakers and stewards of
      families. So a missing mother would force children and fathers to
      compensate for that role. And I can see when talk of the Hero was
      primarily spoken of in the masculine, a missing mother would be impetus
      for the young hero to step up and be a man, as it were. So, perhaps the
      story of the hero hasn't yet fully adapted to the switch in the Hero's
      gender.

      -==-
      Serge
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic