      > Regarding Mikage not having a big role in the last 2 episodes....
      >
      > Notice, neither does Sai. Unlike the first season, where he is the
      > one who basically saves Jiyu.
      >
      > Unlike first season, it's ultimately up to Jiyu and Freasha to deal
      > with their issues in the final eps.

      I would respond that a deeper reading reveals that in fact there is
      still a difference between Sai and Mikage, and perhaps rightfully so
      in that he is the father. In the final two episodes Sai is still
      present as an observer of the final battles. We literally have no
      idea what has happened to Mikage or if she is even to remain a
      character she so utterly disappears - strange for a character that is
      so instrumental to the Hero. Mikage is likely more aptly compared to
      White Tiger - the other "saved swordsman/fighter" who begs Jiyu to
      fight these final battles. White Tiger is placed as an observer at
      the final scenes even, but no Mikage, and I would argue that Jiyu's
      relationship with Mikage was far more important to her than White
      Tigers relationship to her. Event the silly Siberian Yagyus are
      observers of the final battle but NOT Mikage.

      I would also add to my observations of a skewing to the
      Father/Daughter no Mother theme the obviously throw away fact that
      Aiosonuke (sic cant remember spell.) is revealed in almost the final
      scene to be a GIRL not a boy. A daughter not a son. Now why on earth
      did they need to do that. It does not matter one iota to the actual
      unfolding of events at all. It was such an odd bit of business to me
      making her a girl. Except for the fact that the author/creator WAS
      trying to say something about Fathers/Daughters.

      My further question would be - if the creators could answer - Cant a
      child in Jubei, particularly an heroic one, have a sympathetic
      mother, or can a girl only be a Hero if she identifies more with her
      father? The one mother we do see portrayed, Shiro and Himaje's
      mother - is a complete caricature - to the point of being buffonishly
      ugly in looks and behavior.

      I guess I am stuck on Absent Mothers since the last 3-4 shows I have
      watched/am watching have absent or dead mothers - Jubei Chan, Niea_7,
      Air Master, Koi Kaze - so I am seeing a fearful trend of Heroic/or
      leading girls only becoming so without mothers???

      Am I crazy or IS there a trend of this in Anime/Manga?

      <puzzling still> donnaneely
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic