15341Re: More on Utena the Movie

  • stellaluna_42
    Jun 8, 2004
      --- In Yuricon@yahoogroups.com, "donnaneely" <donnaneely@y...> wrote:
      > Funny this subject should come up......I happened to watch the
      > this weekend also. I was noticing the following - and would love
      > comments or corrections from my more-knowledgeable-about-Utena
      > listmates:
      > - Both Anthy and Akio had red markings on their forehead
      > of spiritual or religious markings/designations. Was this to make
      > clearer that these two were "Other" or Witches? Or just the fancy
      > our illustrious Utena anime director Ikuhara.

      I have a theory. It could be witches.... um sorry, been listening to
      the Buffy musical.

      Anyway, TONS of stuff in the series comes from Herman Hesse's
      _Damien_, most notably, Touga's egg speech. In _Damien_ there are
      special people in the world who bear the Mark of Cain. They don't fit
      in and are really smart and mysterious and all that other good
      outsider stuff. I think that Anthy and Akio's caste marks might be a
      reference to that.

      Can you spot the other characters in the series with facial marks? ^_^

      STELLALUNA ^_^v
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic