RE: [YugoRaceAndPerformanceCars] 1988 GV

  • JEFF FAHRINGER
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 30, 2009
      Here is some advice on the mater that was written for a Fiat 128, but it
      applies to a Yugo as well.
      "Lowering the rear of a 128 is easy, because of the ingenious nature of the
      transverse leaf-spring design. It's a simple matter of spacing the lower
      A-arm away from the spring perch. The most common method for doing this is
      to remove the stock mounting bolts, and replace them with longer (upwards of
      3-inches in length) bolts that can accept a sleeve-type spacer. The
      thickness of the spacer determines the amount of lowering. Without too much
      trouble, this spacer can be swapped, providing for quick rear ride height
      changes."

      Stolen from this link:
      http://www.subrew.com/chris/grm_sample/fiat/index.html

      Thats probably the easiest way. There are also other ways of doing it such
      as de-arching the leaf spring by a place that does that sort of thing. Or
      putting a big giant bolt through the chasis that presses down against the
      center of the leaf spring. When you tighten the bolt the rear of the car
      goes down and when you loosen it - back up. A quicker way for adjusting for
      conditions. I think I have photos of that set up somewhere.

      Good luck!

      Jeff

      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 11, 2009
        Thanks Jeff, that really helps me alot. If you have pictures that would help also. quick question you don't know where i can get my hands on a dual cab. intake?

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 11, 2009
          Duel carb intake? Like a pair of weber DCNFs?

          Good reading on engine mods http://www.mirafiori.com/pbs/pbssohc.html

          http://www.piercemanifolds.com/Images/Catalog/K510-36.htm

          I ran a pair of DCNF 40s for a while...Verry touchy throttle response. poor
          mpg (20!) and I could never get the transition from idle circuit to main
          with out a bit of a flat spot. I spent a lot of time and money tweaking it.
          I suspect at low rpm there wasnt enough velocity through the carbs to work
          well. Fine for racing.. not fun in stop and go traffic with a lightened
          flywheel.

          Megasquirt fuel injection is the way to go in my opinion. It dosnt care if
          the velocity drops when you open a big throttle and you won't have to buy 4
          more jets every time you want to adjust the fueling. You can datalog on
          your laptop computer and see whats going on when it screws up. MPG is
          better than stock.
          I'll see if I can find that picture

          Jeff