1988 GV

  • Brynt ellett
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 27, 2009
      I have a 1988 GV 1.1 liter. I need some tips on how to lower the rear end of my car. I love the way the green gvxr looks, perfectly lowered. What size tires and rims will fit at that level. I really enjoy my car. I need all the knowledge I can get. Please Help!!!!!

    • JEFF FAHRINGER
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 30, 2009
        Here is some advice on the mater that was written for a Fiat 128, but it
        applies to a Yugo as well.
        "Lowering the rear of a 128 is easy, because of the ingenious nature of the
        transverse leaf-spring design. It's a simple matter of spacing the lower
        A-arm away from the spring perch. The most common method for doing this is
        to remove the stock mounting bolts, and replace them with longer (upwards of
        3-inches in length) bolts that can accept a sleeve-type spacer. The
        thickness of the spacer determines the amount of lowering. Without too much
        trouble, this spacer can be swapped, providing for quick rear ride height
        changes."

        Stolen from this link:
        http://www.subrew.com/chris/grm_sample/fiat/index.html

        Thats probably the easiest way. There are also other ways of doing it such
        as de-arching the leaf spring by a place that does that sort of thing. Or
        putting a big giant bolt through the chasis that presses down against the
        center of the leaf spring. When you tighten the bolt the rear of the car
        goes down and when you loosen it - back up. A quicker way for adjusting for
        conditions. I think I have photos of that set up somewhere.

        Good luck!

        Jeff

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 11, 2009
          Thanks Jeff, that really helps me alot. If you have pictures that would help also. quick question you don't know where i can get my hands on a dual cab. intake?

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 11, 2009
            Duel carb intake? Like a pair of weber DCNFs?

            Good reading on engine mods http://www.mirafiori.com/pbs/pbssohc.html

            http://www.piercemanifolds.com/Images/Catalog/K510-36.htm

            I ran a pair of DCNF 40s for a while...Verry touchy throttle response. poor
            mpg (20!) and I could never get the transition from idle circuit to main
            with out a bit of a flat spot. I spent a lot of time and money tweaking it.
            I suspect at low rpm there wasnt enough velocity through the carbs to work
            well. Fine for racing.. not fun in stop and go traffic with a lightened
            flywheel.

            Megasquirt fuel injection is the way to go in my opinion. It dosnt care if
            the velocity drops when you open a big throttle and you won't have to buy 4
            more jets every time you want to adjust the fueling. You can datalog on
            your laptop computer and see whats going on when it screws up. MPG is
            better than stock.
            I'll see if I can find that picture

            Jeff