Engine swapping on a carburated GV (removing 1100 and installing X1/9 engine)

  • ieshouston
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 12 5:50 PM
      I was pondering if I could install a Electronic fuel injected engine
      on a GV Yugo equiped with 1100 engine. Some people are telling me that
      it would be possible to convert the X1/9 injected engine to
      carburator, but some other suggested it would not work right and that
      it would be better to remove the 1500 head and install the 1100 Yugo
      head on the X1/9 short block, and that would increase the compression
      and horsepower, but a guy told this could blow the head gasket. Can
      somebody share some info about this?

      Best.

      J.P.
    • John Edwards
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 12 7:49 PM
        Yes this can be done. The 1500 head w/FI has a slightly modified intake port to facilitate the fuel injectors spray pattern. A stock 1100 head can be opened to match. As far a installing the 1100 head on the 1500, I do this all the time to get a better quench area and imporve the power. the 1100 head will give you around 11:1 compression, a tad bit high for 91 fuel. I usually unshroud the intake to improve flow and gain a few additional cc's in the head to lower the compression. At the same time I also install 38-40mm intake valves to really wake the head up. ;-).

        John Edwards
        Costa Mesa R&D Automotive Machine Shop
        123 Monte Vista Avenue
        Costa Mesa, CA 92627
        (949) 631-6376

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 13 4:35 AM
            Thanks for the info John.

            What about the head gasket? I'm I suppose to use either a Yugo or X1/9? I'm assuming I could use the carburated head, and keep the car carburated instead of fuel injected? Could emissions be a problem if a want the car street driveable with this setting?

            Best.

            J.P.

            John Edwards <fiat_nut@...> wrote:
[...]

            ---------------------------------

          • John Edwards

                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 13 8:02 AM
                  Or 1300cc yugo gasket if it's handy - has the same bore

                  (removing 1100 and installing X1/9 engine)

                  > You will need to use the 1500 gasket because it matches the cylinder bore.
                  If you are using a stock cam, I don't see any reason for increased
                  emissions. If anything it might run slightly cleaner because you have a
                  better chance of burning the improved (more homogeneous) mixture providing
                  your cat is in good condition. Keeping the carb is okay. I would take the
                  car down to someone with a chassis dyno and have them make carb jetting
                  suggestions. A 34-DMTR would be a nice addition, or you can bore out the
                  stock carb to around 36mm. I like to install the DGV Weber, but it requires
                  a little carb base and intake modification, plus some simple linkage
                  changes. Hope this helps.
                  > JE...
                  >
                  > Yolanda De Pavia <ieshouston@...> wrote:
                  > Thanks for the info John.
                  >
                  > What about the head gasket? I'm I suppose to use either a Yugo or
                  X1/9? I'm assuming I could use the carburated head, and keep the car
                  carburated instead of fuel injected? Could emissions be a problem if a want
                  the car street driveable with this setting?

                  > Best.
                  >
                  > J.P.
                  >
                  > John Edwards <fiat_nut@...> wrote:
                  > I almost forgot.......
                  > Be sure to use the 1500 FI cam for better performance. The driveability
                  of this combo works very well and you will be happy with the additional
                  power, not to mention economy that only FI can deliver.

                  > John Edwards
                  > Costa Mesa R&D Automotive Machine Shop
                  > 123 Monte Vista Avenue
                  > Costa Mesa, CA 92627
                  > (949) 631-6376
                  >
                  > ieshouston <ieshouston@...> wrote:
                  >

                  > I was pondering if I could install a Electronic fuel injected engine
                  > on a GV Yugo equiped with 1100 engine. Some people are telling me that
                  > it would be possible to convert the X1/9 injected engine to
                  > carburator, but some other suggested it would not work right and that
                  > it would be better to remove the 1500 head and install the 1100 Yugo
                  > head on the X1/9 short block, and that would increase the compression
                  > and horsepower, but a guy told this could blow the head gasket. Can
                  > somebody share some info about this?
                  >
                  > Best.
                  >
                  > J.P.

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links