Yugo turbo update

  • jseabolt2002
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 4 8:04 PM
      I don't know if I have ever posted here before so some people may not
      be aware of my project.

      I've taken a 1987 Yugo, dropped in a 1500cc Fiat motor and installed
      a T25 turbo from a Saab 9000 and I'm blowing through the stock 32
      DFTA carburator. I had to increase the secondary jet size from 1.00
      to 2.00 to prevent detonation but think I need to work on the
      jetting. I'm running 7 lbs/~.5 BAR of boost.

      I've also swapped ring gears so I can use the larger 1500 clutch with
      the four speed transmission.

      I'm estimating I'm now making about 115 BHP and the car runs great
      but I've noticed two ill side effects.

      When I accelerate, I got allot of torque steer and the front tire
      starts to "bark". This is even at 40 mph! I believe I am loosing
      traction.

      I gave a co-worker a ride today and he said it felt like the front
      tire was starting to bounce off the ground when this was occuring.

      I set the front end alignment best I could but it may not be perfect
      so I'm hoping a proper alignment and perhaps some stickier tires may
      help. But while just driving down the road, the car seems to track
      straight.

      Have any of you guys who have bumped up the power on your Yugos ever
      experience this?

      What sort of things can I do to increase the traction? I know I can
      add stickier tires but as far as installing a limited slip
      differential, I wouldn't know how to refrotfit something like this to
      the Yugos 4 speed transmission.

      I'll try to take some photos of my car and post them on my webpage so
      you can see it. Gotta get my digital camera back from my parents.
    • Jeff Fahringer
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 5 7:52 AM
        Cool project. Have you read about the Turbo yugo with Megasquirt fuel
        injection? Not sure if it was posted on this list or the YugoGV list. Ya
        might want to go with Megasquirt FI, if ya can't sort out your carb
        problems. I'm running MS FI on my high compression 1500. Its' fully
        programmable and not too expensive.
        http://www.megasquirt.info/index.html
        Stiffer polyurethane bushings might help with the torque steer. Toe out o
        course for that alignment. 1300cc yugos came with a stiffer sway bar. If
        you are using the stock 87 sway bar, I wonder if its flexing under
        acceleration?
        I have two 1500 powered yugos and the one with the thinner swaybar has more
        tourque steer. That is not proof though, cause there are many variables and
        the one with the thinner swaybar is not fully dialed in yet.
        A brace between the strut towers is typical for hi power yugos.
        Have fun and keep us posted!
        Jeff
        > I don't know if I have ever posted here before so some people may not
        > be aware of my project.
        >
        > I've taken a 1987 Yugo, dropped in a 1500cc Fiat motor and installed
        > a T25 turbo from a Saab 9000 and I'm blowing through the stock 32
        > DFTA carburator. I had to increase the secondary jet size from 1.00
        > to 2.00 to prevent detonation but think I need to work on the
        > jetting. I'm running 7 lbs/~.5 BAR of boost.
        >
        > I've also swapped ring gears so I can use the larger 1500 clutch with
        > the four speed transmission.
        >
        > I'm estimating I'm now making about 115 BHP and the car runs great
        > but I've noticed two ill side effects.
        >
        > When I accelerate, I got allot of torque steer and the front tire
        > starts to "bark". This is even at 40 mph! I believe I am loosing
        > traction.
        >
        > I gave a co-worker a ride today and he said it felt like the front
        > tire was starting to bounce off the ground when this was occuring.
        >
        > I set the front end alignment best I could but it may not be perfect
        > so I'm hoping a proper alignment and perhaps some stickier tires may
        > help. But while just driving down the road, the car seems to track
        > straight.
        >
        > Have any of you guys who have bumped up the power on your Yugos ever
        > experience this?
        >
        > What sort of things can I do to increase the traction? I know I can
        > add stickier tires but as far as installing a limited slip
        > differential, I wouldn't know how to refrotfit something like this to
        > the Yugos 4 speed transmission.
        >
        > I'll try to take some photos of my car and post them on my webpage so
        > you can see it. Gotta get my digital camera back from my parents.
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Mladen
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 5 4:24 PM
          My $0.02

          you could be experiencing wheel hop, which is usually related to
          engine mounts. it is common with front wheel drive cars with too much
          torque. You may attempt to swap engine mounts from a bigger car
          and/or make a more solid mount. they are not that hard to make. race
          cars will completely solid mounts (aluminum) which I wouldn't
          recommend as they will rattle out your teeth fillings. solid urethane
          mounts could be a good compromise.

          torque steer will be harder to dial out. unequal length half shafts
          and yugo suspension geometry are to be blamed. I am not sure there is
          much that can be done about it. you are just going to need to make
          sure you got both hands on the steering wheel before you drop the
          hammer.

          --- In YUGORACEANDPERFORMANCECARS@yahoogroups.com, "jseabolt2002"
          <turbofiat@h...> wrote:

          > I don't know if I have ever posted here before so some people may
          not
          > be aware of my project.
          >
          > I've taken a 1987 Yugo, dropped in a 1500cc Fiat motor and
          installed
          > a T25 turbo from a Saab 9000 and I'm blowing through the stock 32
          > DFTA carburator. I had to increase the secondary jet size from 1.00
          > to 2.00 to prevent detonation but think I need to work on the
          > jetting. I'm running 7 lbs/~.5 BAR of boost.
          >
          > I've also swapped ring gears so I can use the larger 1500 clutch
          with
          > the four speed transmission.
          >
          > I'm estimating I'm now making about 115 BHP and the car runs great
          > but I've noticed two ill side effects.
          >
          > When I accelerate, I got allot of torque steer and the front tire
          > starts to "bark". This is even at 40 mph! I believe I am loosing
          > traction.
          >
          > I gave a co-worker a ride today and he said it felt like the front
          > tire was starting to bounce off the ground when this was occuring.
          >
          > I set the front end alignment best I could but it may not be
          perfect
          > so I'm hoping a proper alignment and perhaps some stickier tires
          may
          > help. But while just driving down the road, the car seems to track
          > straight.
          >
          > Have any of you guys who have bumped up the power on your Yugos
          ever
          > experience this?
          >
          > What sort of things can I do to increase the traction? I know I can
          > add stickier tires but as far as installing a limited slip
          > differential, I wouldn't know how to refrotfit something like this
          > the Yugos 4 speed transmission.
          >
          > I'll try to take some photos of my car and post them on my webpage
          so
          > you can see it. Gotta get my digital camera back from my parents.
        • Jonny
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 6 5:51 AM
            why are you not on the list of MegaSquirt Success Stories?
          • jseabolt2002
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 6 6:27 PM
              --- In YUGORACEANDPERFORMANCECARS@yahoogroups.com, "Jonny"
              <jonnypruitt@s...> wrote:

              > why are you not on the list of MegaSquirt Success Stories?

              I wanted to try my hand at carburation. Personally I think once the
              jetting it sorted out, it will run just as good as my fuel injected
              Spider.

              How come you gave up on the carburator? You said something about it
              running out of fuel at 3# of boost.

              I'm running 7# of boost and as of right now the front end can't
              handle the power.

              It was actually quite simple with exception to finding the proper
              fuel pump. Just connect the vent port on the fuel bowl to boost, run
              it through a turbo fuel pressure regulator and rejet the carb.
            • Jeff Fahringer
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 7 5:36 AM
                > why are you not on the list of MegaSquirt Success Stories?

                Me?
                I like experimenting and making things, but not writing or cleaning up!
                I'm glad you did, though 'cause I think it was your project that inspired
                mine.
                Jeff
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 7 6:06 AM
                  > you could be experiencing wheel hop, which is usually related to
                  > engine mounts. it is common with front wheel drive cars with too much
                  > torque. You may attempt to swap engine mounts from a bigger car
                  > and/or make a more solid mount. they are not that hard to make. race
                  > cars will completely solid mounts (aluminum) which I wouldn't
                  > recommend as they will rattle out your teeth fillings. solid urethane
                  > mounts could be a good compromise.

                  Good advice. You can also add a motor mount on the drivers side of the
                  cambox, where some fiats have one. That might be queter than solid, but I
                  havent tried it. I made cheap solid mount by filling in the rubber holes one
                  one set of mounts with a 2 part poyurathane rubber. it stiffens it a lot,
                  but will transmitt more vibration. Sometimes just replacing the 17 year old
                  originals will help

                  > torque steer will be harder to dial out. unequal length half shafts
                  > and yugo suspension geometry are to be blamed. I am not sure there is
                  > much that can be done about it. you are just going to need to make
                  > sure you got both hands on the steering wheel before you drop the
                  > hammer.
                  I have a five speed Fiat Strada transmisson for sale if you want equal
                  length half shafts. $200 Half shafts and starter included. you would have
                  to make a trans mount to fit it in a yugo. I also have a lightend flywheel
                  for it if needed.
                  jeff

                  > --- In YUGORACEANDPERFORMANCECARS@yahoogroups.com, "jseabolt2002"
                  > <turbofiat@h...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I don't know if I have ever posted here before so some people may
                  > not
                  > > be aware of my project.
                  > >
                  > > I've taken a 1987 Yugo, dropped in a 1500cc Fiat motor and
                  > installed
                  > > a T25 turbo from a Saab 9000 and I'm blowing through the stock 32
                  > > DFTA carburator. I had to increase the secondary jet size from 1.00
                  > > to 2.00 to prevent detonation but think I need to work on the
                  > > jetting. I'm running 7 lbs/~.5 BAR of boost.
                  > >
                  > > I've also swapped ring gears so I can use the larger 1500 clutch
                  > with
                  > > the four speed transmission.
                  > >
                  > > I'm estimating I'm now making about 115 BHP and the car runs great
                  > > but I've noticed two ill side effects.
                  > >
                  > > When I accelerate, I got allot of torque steer and the front tire
                  > > starts to "bark". This is even at 40 mph! I believe I am loosing
                  > > traction.
                  > >
                  > > I gave a co-worker a ride today and he said it felt like the front
                  > > tire was starting to bounce off the ground when this was occuring.
                  > >
                  > > I set the front end alignment best I could but it may not be
                  > perfect
                  > > so I'm hoping a proper alignment and perhaps some stickier tires
                  > may
                  > > help. But while just driving down the road, the car seems to track
                  > > straight.
                  > >
                  > > Have any of you guys who have bumped up the power on your Yugos
                  > ever
                  > > experience this?
                  > >
                  > > What sort of things can I do to increase the traction? I know I can
                  > > add stickier tires but as far as installing a limited slip
                  > > differential, I wouldn't know how to refrotfit something like this
                  > > the Yugos 4 speed transmission.
                  > >
                  > > I'll try to take some photos of my car and post them on my webpage
                  > so
                  > > you can see it. Gotta get my digital camera back from my parents.
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Jonny
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 7 5:41 PM
                    Yes you Jeff!!

                    Why are you holding out on us?
                    What did we do to you?

                    If you look at may page and try to read my Info. You will
                    see that we are alike:) I just had to show the world I cant spell. adn
                    have bad grammer:)
                  • Jonny
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 7 5:48 PM

                      > How come you gave up on the carburator? You said something about it
                      > running out of fuel at 3# of boost.

                      The problem was that at 9# the carb nidle and seat would give up.
                      Then the carb would flud out.

                      > I'm running 7# of boost and as of right now the front end can't
                      > handle the power.

                      You are making lots of power. But as much as you think. When you get
                      it tuned you will brake the rack and shave the trans mount bolts of
                      the trans.

                      > It was actually quite simple with exception to finding the proper
                      > fuel pump. Just connect the vent port on the fuel bowl to boost, run
                      > it through a turbo fuel pressure regulator and rejet the carb.

                      I have the fuel pump you ased for on http://www.mirafiori.com
                    • jseabolt2002
                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 12 12:39 AM
                        <jonnypruitt@s...> wrote:
                        > I have the fuel pump you ased for on http://www.mirafiori.com

                        Sorry I didn't get back with you on that. I found an electric pump
                        from Advance Autoparts that makes less pressure and flow and now my
                        regulator can adjust the pressure accordingly so I don't need the
                        mechanical pump.