Re: [YUGORACEANDPERFORMANCECARS] YUGO + TURBO

  • Jonny Pruitt
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 1, 2004
      What would you like to know about my MegaSquirt?--- On Sun 02/29, Ken < racefan28@... > wrote:From: Ken [mailto: racefan28@...]To: YUGORACEANDPERFORMANCECARS@yahoogroups.comDate: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 21:37:43 -0600Subject: Re: [YUGORACEANDPERFORMANCECARS] YUGO + TURBOSounds like a good time, pleas tell us about your megasquirt set up.Ken W

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      ADVERTISEMENT Click Here

      Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Ken
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 2, 2004
        Well I do not know much about the megasquirt system. How hard was it to come
        up with everything you needed? What did you use for injectors and AFM? Did
        you build the megasquirt control box and circuit board or did you get it
        ready made?

        Thanks
        Ken W
      • Jonny Pruitt
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 12, 2004
          I am working on your request.Im just slow.--- On Tue 03/02, Ken < racefan28@... > wrote:From: Ken [mailto: racefan28@...]To: YUGORACEANDPERFORMANCECARS@yahoogroups.comDate: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 21:02:14 -0600Subject: Re: [YUGORACEANDPERFORMANCECARS] YUGO + TURBOWell I do not know much about the megasquirt system. How hard was it to comeup with everything you needed? What did you use for injectors and AFM? Didyou build the megasquirt control box and circuit board or did you get itready made?ThanksKen W

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Ken
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 12, 2004
            That's Ok Jonny
            It will be some time if ever before I am ready to tackle it.

            Thanks
            Ken W

            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 11 11:15 AM
              Hope this helps. If any one needs more info just ask.
              http://community.webshots.com/album/89372683IHsQRq

              This is my tale of how I built a 200fpt YUGO. I plan
              to run at the GRM 2004 Challenge. It is being done as
              I am able to get the parts and time. So, it has no
              specific build order, just a time and money limit.
              (April 2004, $2004 Challenge)

              It all started two years ago I was given a 3K turbo.
              That is why I'm using it. It has bean a pain to work
              with! But it was free.

              I had to design and have adaptor flanges made, one
              for the exhaust and one for the turbo. The exhaust is
              made to match the very common T3, because one day,
              someone may want to build a turbo car, with the
              affordable T3. The adaptor for the 3K is T3, so I
              could use it. After bolting up the turbo and exhaust.
              I was able to see where the lines have to go. For oil
              I ran a line from the oil presure sender. The
              oil drain is made from a 1/2" x 18" flex gas line.A
              ¾" ##### welded to the turbo drain and to the oil pan.
              Coolant is from a line I made in to the thermostat
              housing, and one in the heater hose linewith a tee
              fitting.

              The first test did okay. After installing and
              removing everything to get it to fit, I forgot
              to put a restrictor in the oil line, and blew out
              the oil seals. That was not so bad. What was bad, was
              what I did after I got the turbo off. I broke off the
              impeller nut. That was bad, very bad. You cannot just
              buy a one for the new 3K turbo. So it was off to Ebay.
              I found a core turbo for $33. And now the waiting
              begins...

              I went to 'Joe Boys U Pull It' and found a VW Fox
              that still had a good fuel pump. Popped it out, and
              bought it. Got home with the pump and started the
              install. Designing and fabricating mounts for the pump
              and filter. I found varnish in the tank and all over
              the pickup. The tank had so much rust in it that it
              looked like someone put a bag of corn chips in it. So,
              I took the tank off and cleaned it out with a 3 foot
              chain and some solvent, replaced the rubber fuel
              lines, and installed the VW fuel pump. Then I
              installed a Mallory boost compensated fuel pressure
              regulator. Then I installed the carb that I have
              sealed up, and set idle. All looks good for now.
              later, I installed the sealed carb hat and run some
              boost, and test lines for leaks. There were no leaks
              or burst hoses at 100psi fuel pressure. But I did over
              presser my gage and now it reads 15psi at 0 psi.

              Finally, the new turbo came in! After getting tired
              of having to install the turbo in 2 parts. I found
              that if I rotate the turbo 180 it fit better. It no
              longer rubs the cab. The exhaust can be run without
              any problems(wont have to
              alter the center support). Everything looks like the
              factory may have done it.

              For the oil line I gave up on the ss tubing. Im
              using ¼ hydraulic line. I put a bolt in the with a
              3/64 hole drilled in it, for the restrictor. It is in
              the banjo fitting on the block. So there is only abut
              3psi on the line. I now think that the 3623psi that
              line is rated for is overkill.

              Made the last part of my down pipe, out of
              cardboard. Took it to the muffler shop where they
              bent the pipe to my template.

              Found an intercooler, from a 91 Ford Probe GT.
              After a lot cutting. It now fits! That is after
              removing the fuel pump. And rotating the distributor
              90, so the vac pod is not in the way. Worked on the
              intercooler pluming today, After only
              6hr I have the cooler plumed in. Not happy with it
              but for testing it will be okay. Got every thing
              plumed in nicely. Took car out for
              test drive. Every thing was going great when for no
              reason at 5-7psi the clutch slips. So
              now to replace the clutch. Got a new clutch, throw out
              Bearing and pressure plate. While replacing the clutch
              I had to replace a CV boot.

              Got it all back together. And took it for a test
              drive. The car now explodes when I hit 3psi, and just
              keeps pulling until I run out of fuel. Now, I need a
              larger carburetor. After some research, I learned a
              larger carb is going to cost 500 dollars! MegaSquirt
              is 130, and I have wanted to try EFI for some time
              now, and since I have a YUGO EFI intake that I cant
              use, I decided to try it. So MegaSquirt it is.

              I ordered My MegaSquirt and started the wait. It came
              in 2 weeks, much faster that I thought it would be.
              But
              it took longer to just have the some of the parts from
              Digi-Key delivered, about two days. I had my MS
              assembled I record time, about seven hours, then I
              assembled MegaStimulator, a necessary componenet.
              Got up and stated on the relay board, then the made my
              own DB9 cable. It had to be 15 feet long, as I have no
              lap top PC. Next I went to the auto salvage to get
              wire for my install. While making my harness, I
              decided to use General Motors relays instead of the MS
              unit. Just looked easier for me to use. Got every
              thing installed and then was ready for testing and
              tuning. I was able to get the car running with the MS,
              but tuning was a problem. I did not have a lap top PC
              and no alternator to power an A/C converter.

              It was fun playing with the car until one night the
              battery ran down, and left me stranded.
              And cold. 29F. So I went to work on installing an
              alternator. The problem being that the turbo
              is where the alternation would normally be.
              So, after a bit of seaching, I found space where the
              air pump was supposed to be located. I made a bracket
              that bolts to the water pump housing.
              Now I have a charging system. I aquired an A/C
              converter and browed a lap top PC. MegaSquirt is so EZ
              to setup and tune when you have every thing you need.

              Got my map set and started testing the boost limit.
              The stock Injectors could only handle 5psi. So I
              replace them with 19lb injectors. I still was unable
              to get past 5psi. When ever I got up to 5psi and 5k
              rpm, the engine would not turn any higher rpm.
              Not fun because the engine will rev to 7k rpm usually
              with no problem. Every thing works grate with that one
              exception.

              Went to work on the cars handling. I cut the front
              springs, replaced the bolts on the rear leaf spring to
              lower it. Also, I installed new bushings on the front
              A arm and sway bar, and installed a rear sway bar.
              I took the car on a test drive, and was happy with the
              results.

              To help prepare myself for the racing scene, I went
              to Texas Motor Speedway for a Panoz Racing School
              event, Fast Laps. It's a 'run what you got' type event
              on Texas Motor Speedway's Road course. Each session
              is thirty minutes, then you can go over how to improve
              your times with the instructors. It was full throttle
              nothing under 50mph up to 90mph in my YUGO.
              I ran at 5psi the hole time. 3 sessions at thirty
              minutes each then made The 3+ hr drive home. What a
              Blast!!!!!!! I Loved It!!!!!!! But by heart I am still
              an Auto X man.

              After months of trying to fix my running problem.
              I replace the coil and that's all it took.
              Now I have no RPM limit? Okay maybe I have one 8k?
              Armed with a new coil, I went on a test drive.
              Fiannaly, no more dead zone above 5k rpm.

              For more 'driver tuning' I made a trip to Dallas for
              an Auto X at Pennington Field
              <http://autocross.com/texasregion/april182004.shtml>.
              I entered as tSM (street Mod on street tires). I was
              not prepared for how well the car handled, or
              accelerated. The car handled much better than I
              thought it would. The adrenal rush was out of this
              world, and I had a hard time focusing on my driving
              and the course. I was able to finish 13th out of 20!

              Later, after I arrived home, I looked the car over to
              see what to do to improve the handling even more.
              That is when I noticed that the rear sway bar mounts
              had ripped from the car. It had been making a sound
              that I had looked for many times, but could not
              isolate. I had to make repair plates to weld to the
              frame to hold the sway bar, and repair the hole in the
              frame. It is not pretty but it works. Now the car
              should really handle!
            • Jeff Fahringer
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 11 2:36 PM
                Thanks for finding the time to do all that writing after doing all that
                work! Interesting stuff.
                What sized engine do you have. Are you still limited to 5 pounds of boost?
                jeff

                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 13 5:53 AM
                  I cant beleve I did not include that:(
                  It is a 1.1L with 87k on it. It used no oil on my trip.
                  3k later it is still at full. Im so happy.
                  Im not limited to 5psi. It is just safe.
                  1100miles is a long walk home.
                  I have run as much as 15psi.

                  Jeff Fahringer <joffrey@...> wrote:
[...]

                  using � hydraulic line. I put a bolt in the with a

                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 14 9:39 AM
                    Very cool. I have a few low mileage 1100 engines and 2 1100cc NOS
                    shortblocks that I was thinking there was little hope of using now that I
                    like fiat 1500 engines.
                    Did you check your gas milage? If so was that with a 4 speed or a five
                    speed? It might be pretty good when off boost.
                    Jeff

                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 14 9:55 AM
                      I cant beleve I did not include that I am very impressed that you built a
                      turbocharged, fuel injected 1100cc yugo! An inspiration to us all!
                      Jeff

                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 15 5:14 AM
                        My fuel mileage is 30mpg. With the 4speed.

                        I am looking for some 1.5s but they are not ez to come by.

                        I have one but it needs pistons. And boring.

                        I hop to find on soon that does not need as much work.

                        What are you plans for your 1.1 collection?

                        Jeff Fahringer <joffrey@...> wrote:Very cool. I have a few low mileage 1100 engines and 2 1100cc NOS

                        Message 11 of 15 , Apr 16 7:28 AM
                          >I am looking for some 1.5s but they are not ez to come by.
                          you're in texas?

                          >What are you plans for your 1.1 collection?
                          I have two 1.5s and two 1.3 engines to use first. (not counting the one in
                          "Zippy", my current driver) The used 1.1 engines are still in parts cars,
                          the NOS short blocks I may use for parts if they fit other engines (oil
                          pump?) If you can make it to my May or June Yugo gathering I will trade you
                          any 1.1 you like for a spin in your turboyugo. Pull a trans too, if you
                          want.

                          Are you using the stock 1.1 head? stock compression? Did ya have to grind
                          away at the part of the head where the fuel injected manifold squirts fuel?
                          I thought ya have to use the fuel injected head with the fuel injection
                          manifold.You know how the intake holes differ. But then I also used to
                          think there wasn't an affordable way to convert a carb engine to fuel
                          injection. Before this, the only programable ECU for fiat/yugo fuel
                          injection I knew of was $2000 and required all the sensors of the normal
                          injected engine. For those of you who want to take on a fuel injetion
                          conversion project, but are too lazy to Google search megasquirt:
                          http://www.megasquirt.info/index.html
                          Jeff

                          Message 12 of 15 , Apr 16 11:26 PM
                            Yes Im in Texas.

                            Ill try to make the trip, but its not looking good.

                            That�s when I make most of my money.

                            My engine is all stock. + The turbo and the EFI.

                            I didn�t have to mod any part of the head for the

                            EFI intake. Its not like the Fiat Intake. The ports

                            Are the same as with the carb.

                            Message 13 of 15 , Apr 17 6:01 PM
                              Sorry I'm late on this post, I have a running 88 GV w/ a1100 and a spare
                              1100, in NW Ohio if anyone is interested, pics avl
                              Jerry NW Ohio