News from Ripon 1/3/08

  • Charles Fletcher
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2009
      Hi Folks

      Record catches this week. I can't remember a February week quite as
      good. It feels more like the middle of March. Total catch for the
      week has been:

      0688 Agonopterix heracliana 1
      1025 Tortricodes alternella 2
      1663 March Moth (Alsophila aescularia) 6
      1926 Pale Brindled Beauty (Phigalia pilosaria) 3
      1934 Dotted Border (Agriopis marginaria) 5
      1960 Early Moth (Theria primaria) 4
      2187 Common Quaker (Orthosia cerasi) 9
      2188 Clouded Drab (Orthosia incerta) 8
      2190 Hebrew Character (Orthosia gothica) 12
      2256 Satellite (Eupsilia transversa) 1
      2258 Chestnut (Conistra vaccinii) 7

      Tortricodes alternella is new for the garden. It seems to be popping
      up everywhere this year. I have only seen it in woodland before, but
      the warm weather means it has been flying all over the place this
      week.

      Lots of phyllos popping out now, since I brought them in from the
      cold a couple of weeks ago. P. strigulatella should be new for VC65 -
      mines on Grey Alder which I picked in November from near Scotch
      Corner. It's a pretty good year so far I reckon. That's two VC65
      records plus a county record from the other Charlie (Harry is now
      happy about the P. filicovora) and its only 1st March!! I'm sure we
      should all be making an effort to find Psychoides species this year.
      I've turned over masses of Hartstongue Fern fronds with no luck so
      far, but I'm still trying.

      Hope to see you all at Bramham on Sunday.

      Cheers

      Charlie
    • Paul Talbot
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1, 2009
        I'm sure we should all be making an effort to find Psychoides species this year.
        I've turned over masses of Hartstongue Fern fronds with no luck so
        far, but I'm still trying.

        Charlie
        Having found Psychoides verhuella for the first time myself here in
        Wales last week my thoughts on finding them are this. From my brief
        look for them last week on Hartstongue fern, the only mines I found
        were on last years old browned leaves that were in some shelter. Most
        patches of the fern I searched growing out from hedge shelter had
        mines and cases. I did not find one single mine on plants more
        exposed. This might not be a general trend as the area I searched is
        on a lane only a couple of hundred yards from the sea and thus can be
        a bit breezy, which may be why they only occur on more sheltered
        plants. As with most miners they can occur in great numbers on one
        stand of the plant yet other nearby seemingly ideally placed have
        none.

        best of luck with the hunt.

        Paul Talbot
        VC49