FROM THE MODERATOR ABOUT THE FLAMING WARS ON THE GROUP

  • Darryl Huffman
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 2, 2008
      A little over 4 years ago this group was formed and given Tom Yorke's
      name with his permission. During that time we have had a tremendous
      amount of great photos and files posted to the group's archives that
      have made our hobby more enjoyable.

      As everyone is painfully aware, this group has become something vastly
      different than was originally intended. Instead of sharing
      information about Tom's products and how we use them, it has become a
      flaming war over Tom's business practices.

      This type of exchange can only result in one thing, having the group
      dissolved as was mentioned by Frank.

      I contacted Frank and asked to be giving the position of a
      co-moderator as I have a lot of experience in handling flaming wars as
      I have moderated many groups over the years. Frank has given me
      permission to try to calm things down.

      The first thing I have done is to set all members to moderated status.
      This means that only messages approved by one of the moderators will
      go to the groups. I will reject without discussion any emails that
      are not courteous and respectful of all list members. This includes
      emails about Tom.

      Some may think of this as censorship. They are welcome to their
      opinions, of course. But this is not a question of politics
      concerning the running of our government.

      This is a question only of keeping this group intact and not letting
      it splinter into different groups.

      If anyone wants to contact Tom about his business policies they are
      free to contact him directly by email or by letter. I have absolutely
      no issue with that. But we cannot allow this group to become torn in
      have over that issue. That is between an individual member and Tom
      himself. Keep it out of the group emails.

      Again, I will delete any negative emails immediately without
      discussion. If anyone harasses me or Frank about this action I will
      remove them from the list.

      These actions are essential to keep the list from splintering and
      disappearing. Please work with me on this.

      I will also be posting group guidelines to the files. Here are the
      group guidelines which have been proven effective in over 10 years of
      moderation of groups.

      The YorkeKit Group guidelines are simple and rely upon common sense.

      1. Sign messages with first name and, if you wish, last name and
      general location.
      2. Be courteous and respectful of all list members.
      3. No attachments or private messages to full list.
      4. No political, religious, racial or ethnic messages or slurs.
      5. Delete all but the relevant part of a message when replying.
      6. Profanity will not be tolerated.
      7. Items offered for sale (private, commercial, or on Ebay) should
      be relevant to craftman kits.
      8. Complaints about any message should be sent directly to the
      moderator at dlhuffman@... rather than to all the
      members of the list. Please include a copy of the offending
      message. If the matter is not resolved to your satisfaction,
      then contact the list as a whole. This approach will prevent
      a great number of unnecessary, inflammatory messages.
      9. The moderator always welcomes suggestions about ways to improve
      your enjoyment of the list.

      The following are some of the suggestions I have received from members
      of the different groups I moderate
      concerning ways to make your list more enjoyable. Most are designed to cut
      down on bandwidth problems and email mailbox glut. Some ISPs are stingy.

      1. When replying to a message, please delete all but the key parts of the
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 2, 2008
        Thank you for steping in and taking control.

        Doug Krahn

        moderator at dlhuffman@alaska. com rather than to all the
[...]

        contact Frank Bernard at: Frank.Bernard@ motorola. com

      • dlhuffman
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 2, 2008
          Thank you for your support, Doug.

          This is a drastic measure that the group owner and moderators hate to take
          but it seems essential for the survival of the group.

          If everyone will support our efforts we should be able to return to a
          positive modeling experience group in short order.

          Darryl Huffman
          Anchorage, Alaska
          dlhuffman@...

          Thank you for steping in and taking control.

          Doug Krahn
        • MARC WITTEN
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 2, 2008
            Well Done Darryl.
            as someone who has just got to enjoy Tom's work i'd have hated it to close on a sour note,
            my regards to you sir,
            regards Marc Witten (UK)

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 2, 2008
              Thank you Marc.

              Sometimes drastic steps are required to save a person's life. Surgery to
              remove a malignant growth or even a body part.

              So it is with a group. I hate to step into a mess like this but it had to
              be done.

              Your email is appreciated and is one of many supporting my efforts.

              Darryl Huffman
              Anchorage, Alaska
              dlhuffman@...

              Timid about painting your backdrop?

              http://www.darrylhuffman.50megs.com/photo5.html

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 2, 2008
                As you say Darryl major surgery was needed,i have the utmost respect for Tom,he has been really helpfull to me aquiring donor chassis etc at a fraction of their UK price,and helping me otherways too.what kits were good for the Gn15 items etc.
                We need to help not hinder or destroy these people,like yourself who do excellant things for the Hobby.
                You will always get my vote of thanks,
                regards Marc.

                dlhuffman@alaska. com

                Timid about painting your backdrop?

                http://www.darrylhu ffman.50megs. com/photo5. html
                > as someone who has just got to enjoy Tom's work i'd have hated it to close
                > on a sour note,
                > my regards to you sir,
                > regards Marc Witten (UK)

              • Les Conn
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 3, 2008
                  Darryl,

                  Thanks for doing this. I'm going back to lurking now!

                  Other Les
                • verneniner
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 3, 2008
                    Agreed...glad to see cooler heads prevail here. Thanks, Darryl.