Gn15

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 5, 2008
      I will have a list shortly of what I have left. A few Outhouses remain. There are a number of
      locos left and I may as well pack up the Iris steamer even though there are no instructions,
      just assembly drawings. I will also add a list of what you need to complete it as far as detail
      castings go. No sense letting the parts collect dust in the shop.

      Tom
    • alguckes2001
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 21, 2008
        Being a recent member of this group I am curious why the GN items are
        being phased out. Lack of sales or no time?

        Al Guckes
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 22, 2008
          --- In Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.com, "alguckes2001" <alguckes@...> wrote:

          > Being a recent member of this group I am curious why the GN items are
          > being phased out. Lack of sales or no time?
          >
          > Al Guckes

          First of all Al - sales were very disappointing in Gn15. For example the Outhouse loco
          took about 200 hours to research and develop the patterns. It was painstakingly done to
          represent the original almost down to the knot hole! Thus far I have sold less than 10.
          Likewise for most of the other items. I did them because I was working in Gn15 myself.
          They just didn't fly. That's less than a quarter an hour for my time! A real waste. I continue
          working in Gn15 but not for anybody else - only myself since there is obviously no market
          for it.

          Likewise On30 locomotives and rolling stock. For whatever reason they do not sell. Maybe
          they were too high-class for the average On30 market which is not very sophisticated by
          and large. Not like the old days of On3 anyway.

          I have 2 Outhouses left at $125 each and 4 Tractor loco frames at $50 each. All plus post.
          That will be the end of my Gn15 line except for a handful of Iris steamers sometime later
          this year as the work is all done and I may as well try to sell a couple. No price yet on
          those.

        • Angela
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 22, 2008
            The question is , Tom , did you market these items in the right place ? There seems to be an increasing interest in G scale , and Gn15 in particular , in Britain and the rest of Europe , and I would have thought that if these people were made aware of what you are selling you would have had more sales . The only draw backs being the poor state of the Dollar and any language barriers there might be .
            The choice of subject might have been a problem as well . They might have been a bit too exotic for most people's tastes .
            Check out Marcel Ackle's website to see what can be done in this scale . Truely fantastic ( well , I think so ) .

            Nick Ogden

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 22, 2008
              --- In Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.com, "Angela" <angela@...> wrote:

              > The question is , Tom , did you market these items in the right place ? There seems to
              be an increasing interest in G scale , and Gn15 in particular , in Britain and the rest of
              Europe , and I would have thought that if these people were made aware of what you are
              selling you would have had more sales . The only draw backs being the poor state of the
              Dollar and any language barriers there might be .
              > The choice of subject might have been a problem as well . They might have been a bit
              too exotic for most people's tastes .
              > Check out Marcel Ackle's website to see what can be done in this scale . Truely
              fantastic ( well , I think so ) .

              > Nick Ogden

              Nick,
              The marketing was done through the various Yahoo sub-narrow groups and the Gn15.info
              site. This was all I could do as there were no funds for paid advertising as far as
              periodicals went. Truthfully, most sales went over seas. I didn't expect to sell too many
              items over here. As far as subjects goes - who knows and a lot of the Gn15 locos are
              rather exotic to begin with. The Storage Battery Electric was a real bummer as it is very
              typical of said equipment and with the cookie-cutter frame - a sure winner --- not!

              Tom
            • tom
              Message 6 of 6 , May 8, 2011
                The new list of Gn15 resin parts is now available at www.tomyorke.com.