Fw: Red shirt Fridays

  • Tom Gregory
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 8, 2008
      From: rgrossabq@...
      To: tony ; Tawana ; Steve ; Charlotte Stephenson ; Sandy ; Richard ; Pat ; Chance Pack ; Mike ; Casey Lebold ; Rex Lawson ; Kimberley ; Ken ; Jay ; Gary Jansson ; steve isbister ; Jim Hines ; Hank ; TOM GREGORY ; Susan Gibbs ; James G. Gibbs ; Gena ; Fred ; Terry Flynn ; Paul Faulkner ; Ed ; Sue Doyle ; Doug ; Debbie ; Christa ; Bob ; Fort Worth Billiards ; Suzanne Benson
      Sent: Tuesday, April 08, 2008 1:07 PM
      Subject: FW: Red shirt Fridays

      From: "Roy Armstrong" <armstrong819@...>
      To: <rgrossabq@...>
      Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 18:00:22 +0000

      If the Red shirt thing is new to you, read below...

      Last week, while traveling to Chicago on business, I noticed a Marine sergeant traveling with a folded flag, but did not put two and two together. After we boarded our flight, I turned to the sergeant, who'd been invited to sit in First Class (across from me), and inquired if he was heading home.

      No, he responded.

      Heading out I asked?

      No. I'm escorting a soldier home.

      Going to pick him up?

      No. He is with me right now. He was killed in Iraq , I'm taking him home to his family.

      The realization of what he had been asked to do hit me like a punch to the gut. It was an honor for him. He told me that, although he didn't know the soldier, he had delivered the news of his passing to the soldier's Family and felt as if he knew them after many conversations in so few days.

      I turned back to him, extended my hand, and said, Thank you. Thank you for doing what you do so my family and I can do what we do.

      Upon landing in Chicago the pilot stopped short of the gate and made the following announcement over the intercom.

      "Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to note that we have had the honor of having Sergeant Steeley of the United States Marine Corps join us on this flight. He is escorting a fallen comrade back home to his family. I ask that you please remain in your seats when we open the forward door to allow Sergeant Steeley to deplane and receive his fellow soldier. We will then turn off the seat belt si gn."

      Without a sound, all went as requested. I noticed the sergeant saluting the casket as it was brought off the plane, and his action made me realize that I am proud to be an American.

      So here's a public Thank You to our military Men and Women for what you do so we can live the way we do.

      Red Fridays.

      Very soon, you will see a great many people wearing Red every Friday. The reason? Americans who support our troops used to be called the "silent majority." We are no longer silent, and are voicing our love for God, country and home in record breaking numbers. We are not organized, boisterous or overbearing.

      Many Americans, like you, me and all our friends, simply want to recognize that the vast majority of America supports our troops. Our idea of showing solidarity and support for our troops with dignity and respect Starts this Friday -- and continues each and every Friday until the troops all come home, sending a deafening message that .. Ever y red-blooded American who supports our men and women afar, will wear something red.

      By word of mouth, press, TV -- let's make the United States on every Friday a sea of red much like a home coming football game in the bleachers.
      If every one of us who loves this country will share this with acquaintances, coworkers, friends, and family, it will not be long before the USA is covered in RED and it will let our troops know the once "silent" majority is on their side more than ever, certainly more than the media lets on.

      The first thing a soldier says whe n asked "What can we do to make things better for you?" is. "We need your support and your prayers." Let's get the word out and lead with class and dignity, by example, and wear
      Something r ed every Friday.

      IF YOU AGREE -- THEN SEND THIS ON.
      IF YOU COULDN'T CARE LESS -- THEN HIT THE DELETE BUTTON

      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 8, 2008
        My son is a Sergeant in the Marine Corps. He's a door gunner on a UH-46 helicopter and is a veteran of two combat deployments, one to Iraq and one to the Horn of Africa. Thank you for your email and your patriotism.

        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 8, 2008
          I think we need to be careful about introducing topics unrelated to model railroading on a hobby list. While many list members will not consider a posting about patriotism controversial, definitions about what constitutes patriotism can easily be. There are those--like me--who can honor and respect the sacrifices those currently serving in the armed forces are making without approving the flawed policies of the current administration which put them in positions of danger.

          Jace Kahn
          General Manager
          Ceres & Canisteo RR Co./Champlain County Traction Co
          (and a disabled veteran)

          > My son is a Sergeant in the Marine Corps. He's a door gunner on a UH-46 helicopter and is a veteran of two combat deployments, one to Iraq and one to the Horn of Africa. Thank you for your email and your patriotism.

          > From: "Tom Gregory"

        • Randy Hees
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 8, 2008
            Jace, that was one of the best worded explanations of objection to the original posts that I could imagine.

            Randy Hees

            Who's son is on his way to the gulf on a Navy Destroyer, who's nephew did his tour in the Army, now in Germany, proud to say he brought his unit home without a casulty, another nephew did a tour with the Airforce, Another nephew and his wife have both done tours in Afganisatan flying Apache's. I am conflicted about being there, but support the troops, so many just kids, great kids...

            Back to models....

            I think we need to be careful about introducing topics unrelated to model railroading on a hobby list. While many list members will not consider a posting about patriotism controversial, definitions about what constitutes patriotism can easily be. There are those--like me--who can honor and respect the sacrifices those currently serving in the armed forces are making without approvng the flawed policies of the current administration which put them in positions of danger.

            Jace Kahn
            General Manager
            Ceres & Canisteo RR Co./Champlain County Traction Co
            (and a disabled veteran)

            > My son is a Sergeant in the Marine Corps. He's a door gunner on a UH-46 helicopter and is a veteran of two combat deployments, one to Iraq and one to the Horn of Africa. Thank you for your email and your patriotism.

            Recent Activity
            a.. 2New Members
            b.. 5New Photos
            Visit Your Group
            Yahoo! News
            Kevin Sites

            Get coverage of

            world crises.

            Share Photos
            Put your favorite

            photos and

            more online.

            Y! Groups blog
            The place to go

            to stay informed

            on Groups news!
            .

          • Bryan Weidner
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 8, 2008
              Jace,
              I don't think we need the group censor yet. I don't think anyone with
              family in the military should be made to feel wrong about being proud
              of their love ones especially after paying the price of admission--
              WORRY. Besides, the problem with your the posting is the equating of
              patriotism to politics of either party?
              A Worried Love One, Bryan Weidner

              --- In Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.com, JGG KahnSr <jacekahn@...> wrote:

              > I think we need to be careful about introducing topics unrelated to
              model railroading on a hobby list. While many list members will not
              consider a posting about patriotism controversial, definitions about
              what constitutes patriotism can easily be. There are those--like me-
              -who can honor and respect the sacrifices those currently serving in
              the armed forces are making without approving the flawed policies of
              the current administration which put them in positions of danger.

              > Jace Kahn
              > General Manager
              > Ceres & Canisteo RR Co./Champlain County Traction Co
              > (and a disabled veteran)
              >

              > > My son is a Sergeant in the Marine Corps. He's a door gunner on a
              UH-46 helicopter and is a veteran of two combat deployments, one to
              Iraq and one to the Horn of Africa. Thank you for your email and your
              patriotism.

              > > From: "Tom Gregory"

              Messenger.
              > http://www.windowslive.com/messenger/connect_your_way.html?
              ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_Refresh_messenger_video_042008

            • JGG KahnSr
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 9, 2008
                Dear Bryan
                Two points: first, it is better that list members censor themselves than to need the moderator to step in, and my previous message was intended as a gentle reminder that not everyone will agree about something so seemingly-obvious as supporting the members of our armed forces, especially those serving in combat areas.
                Second, it is most unfortunate that the current administration has politicized such a serious matter by claiming the exclusive right to define patriotism as agreeing with its policies.

                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 9, 2008
                  Good Morning, I did not intend for this email to go to this list or the
                  other list to which it went, it was only intended to go to certain people,
                  however it was sent ( by ME) to more than I wanted. I have very firm
                  feelings about this country, but do wish to keep them off model railroading
                  lists as well.

                  Tom Gregory
                  iuka

                  Two points: first, it is better that list members censor themselves than to
                  need the moderator to step in, and my previous message was intended as a
                  gentle reminder that not everyone will agree about something so
                  seemingly-obvious as supporting the members of our armed forces, especially
                  those serving in combat areas.
                  Second, it is most unfortunate that the current administration has
                  politicized such a serious matter by claiming the exclusive right to define
                  patriotism as agreeing with its policies.
                  Jace Kahn

                  General Manager
                  Ceres & Canisteo RR Co./Champlain County Traction Co.

                  > To: Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.com
                  > From: b55w@...
                  > Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 05:29:25 +0000
                  > Subject: [Yorke_Kits] Re: Fw: Red shirt Fridays
                  >
                  > Jace,
                  > I don't think we need the group censor yet. I don't think anyone with
                  > family in the military should be made to feel wrong about being proud
                  > of their love ones especially after paying the price of admission--
                  > WORRY. Besides, the problem with your the posting is the equating of
                  > patriotism to politics of either party?
                  > A Worried Love One, Bryan Weidner
                  >

                  > --- In Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.com, JGG KahnSr <jacekahn@...> wrote:
                  > >

                  > > I think we need to be careful about introducing topics unrelated to
                  > model railroading on a hobby list. While many list members will not
                  > consider a posting about patriotism controversial, definitions about
                  > what constitutes patriotism can easily be. There are those--like me-
                  > -who can honor and respect the sacrifices those currently serving in
                  > the armed forces are making without approving the flawed policies of
                  > the current administration which put them in positions of danger.
                  > >
                  > > Jace Kahn
                  > > General Manager
                  > > Ceres & Canisteo RR Co./Champlain County Traction Co
                  > > (and a disabled veteran)
                  > >

                  > > > My son is a Sergeant in the Marine Corps. He's a door gunner on a
                  > UH-46 helicopter and is a veteran of two combat deployments, one to
                  > Iraq and one to the Horn of Africa. Thank you for your email and your
                  > patriotism.

                  > > > From: "Tom Gregory"

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • Allen K. Littlefield
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 9, 2008
                    Mr. Kahn, I believe you do your objection to introducing politics a
                    disservice by making your political statements against the
                    administration and its "policies" etc. You should have left well
                    enough alone with your support for the troops and that we should
                    disdain from talking about it here.

                    Allen NYT

                  • John Stokes
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 9, 2008
                      Bryan, No one is doing anything to make you or anyone else feel wrong about being proud of their loved ones, but unfortunately political rhetoric and feelings creep into even the most innocent postings about war and the decision makers who put young people in harm's way. I agree with Jace's comments and would hope that this forum for model railroading and specifically Yorke kits would not be turned into a place of commentary for whatever non-modeling causes or feelings anyone has and wants to express them. And if I were to say what I feel about how some so called leaders use "patriotism" to further their own objectives that are at odds with our country's best interests, you might resent that too. So this topic, no matter how personally felt, should be kept off these discussion groups just like religion. I hope you understand and can separate out your personal concerns and feeling from the comradery and information sharing of a hobby. We just don't need to go there in these groups. And we all worry about the losses and the sacrifices and the long term consequences, so you are not alone. John StokesBellevue, WA

                      To: Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.comFrom: b55w@...: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 05:29:25 +0000Subject: [Yorke_Kits] Re: Fw: Red shirt Fridays

                      Jace,I don't think we need the group censor yet. I don't think anyone with family in the military should be made to feel wrong about being proud of their love ones especially after paying the price of admission--WORRY. Besides, the problem with your the posting is the equating of patriotism to politics of either party? A Worried Love One, Bryan Weidner--- In Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.com, JGG KahnSr <jacekahn@...> wrote:>> > I think we need to be careful about introducing topics unrelated to model railroading on a hobby list. While many list members will not consider a posting about patriotism controversial, definitions about what constitutes patriotism can easily be. There are those--like me--who can honor and respect the sacrifices those currently serving in the armed forces are making without approving the flawed policies of the current administration which put them in positions of danger.> > Jace Kahn> General Manager> Ceres & Canisteo RR Co./Champlain County Traction Co> (and a disabled veteran)> > > > > > My son is a Sergeant in the Marine Corps. He's a door gunner on a UH-46 helicopter and is a veteran of two combat deployments, one to Iraq and one to the Horn of Africa. Thank you for your email and your patriotism.> >> > -------------- Original message --------------> > From: "Tom Gregory" > >> > ----- Original Message -----> > From: rgrossabq@...> > To: tony ; Tawana ; Steve ; Charlotte Stephenson ; Sandy ; Richard ; Pat ; Chance Pack ; Mike ; Casey Lebold ; Rex Lawson ; Kimberley ; Ken ; Jay ; Gary Jansson ; steve isbister ; Jim Hines ; Hank ; TOM GREGORY ; Susan Gibbs ; James G. Gibbs ; Gena ; Fred ; Terry Flynn ; Paul Faulkner ; Ed ; Sue Doyle ; Doug ; Debbie ; Christa ; Bob ; Fort Worth Billiards ; Suzanne Benson> > Sent: Tuesday, April 08, 2008 1:07 PM> > Subject: FW: Red shirt Fridays> >> > -------------- Forwarded Message: --------------> > From: "Roy Armstrong" > > To: > > Subject: FW: Red shirt Fridays> > Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 18:00:22 +0000> >> > If the Red shirt thing is new to you, read below...> >> > Last week, while traveling to Chicago on business, I noticed a Marine sergeant traveling with a folded flag, but did not put two and two together. After we boarded our flight, I turned to the sergeant, who'd been invited to sit in First Class (across from me), and inquired if he was heading home.> >> > No, he responded.> >> > Heading out I asked?> >> > No. I'm escorting a soldier home.> >> > Going to pick him up?> >> > No. He is with me right now. He was killed in Iraq , I'm taking him home to his family.> >> > The realization of what he had been asked to do hit me like a punch to the gut. It was an honor for him. He told me that, although he didn't know the soldier, he had delivered the news of his passing to the soldier's Family and felt as if he knew them after many conversations in so few days.> >> > I turned back to him, extended my hand, and said, Thank you. Thank you for doing what you do so my family and I can do what we do.> >> > Upon landing in Chicago the pilot stopped short of the gate and made the following announcement over the intercom.> >> > "Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to note that we have had the honor of having Sergeant Steeley of the United States Marine Corps join us on this flight. He is escorting a fallen comrade back home to his family. I ask that you please remain in your seats when we open the forward door to allow Sergeant Steeley to deplane and receive his fellow soldier. We will then turn off the seat belt si gn."> >> > Without a sound, all went as requested. I noticed the sergeant saluting the casket as it was brought off the plane, and his action made me realize that I am proud to be an American.> >> > So here's a public Thank You to our military Men and Women for what you do so we can live the way we do.> >> > Red Fridays.> >> > Very soon, you will see a great many people wearing Red every Friday. The reason? Americans who support our troops used to be called the "silent majority." We are no longer silent, and are voicing our love for God, country and home in record breaking numbers. We are not organized, boisterous or overbearing.> >> > Many Americans, like you, me and all our friends, simply want to recognize that the vast majority of America supports our troops. Our idea of showing solidarity and support for our troops with dignity and respect Starts this Friday -- and continues each and every Friday until the troops all come home, sending a deafening message that .. Ever y red-blooded American who supports our men and women afar, will wear something red.> >> > By word of mouth, press, TV -- let's make the United States on every Friday a sea of red much like a home coming football game in the bleachers.> > If every one of us who loves this country will share this with acquaintances, coworkers, friends, and family, it will not be long before the USA is covered in RED and it will let our troops know the once "silent" majority is on their side more than ever, certainly more than the media lets on.> >> > The first thing a soldier says whe n asked "What can we do to make things better for you?" is. "We need your support and your prayers." Let's get the word out and lead with class and dignity, by example, and wear> > Something r ed every Friday.> >> > IF YOU AGREE -- THEN SEND THIS ON.> > IF YOU COULDN'T CARE LESS -- THEN HIT THE DELETE BUTTON> >> >> __________________________________________________________> Use video conversation to talk face-to-face with Windows Live Messenger.> http://www.windowslive.com/messenger/connect_your_way.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_Refresh_messenger_video_042008>

                    • JGG KahnSr
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 9, 2008
                        Understood. I've have occasionally gotten confused over where list messages were being sent, so I shall cast no rocks, and my response was never to the content of your message so much as whether it was appropriate to the list.

                      • Mike Bauers
                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 9, 2008
                          Gentlemen..........

                          I would greatly prefer it if you would -not- post polarizing
                          political views of -any- persuasion!!!

                          Come on fellows........... you must have learned that many years
                          ago !!!!

                          Please have some common civil politeness and restrict any political
                          views to be -outside- of these hobby lists.

                          I shall certainly refrain in return as my part of the
                          bargain.............

                          Best to ya'
                          Mike Bauers
                          Milwaukee Wi, USA