Looking for a HO Ouisi’s Bar kit..............

  • F. John LaBarba
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 1, 2008
      Everyone,

      I'm looking for an HO Ouisi's Bar kit to build for my layout.

      If you have one you'd like to sell, please contact me off list.

      Sincerely,

      F. John LaBarba

      Santa Cruz, CA
    • Frank Bernard
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 1, 2008
        John,

        Such a beast does not exist. The kit was only done in O scale.

        Frank

        _____

        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 1, 2008
          Frank,

          Thanks for setting me straight! I thought that may of been the case, but recently saw one
          sell on ebay, and the seller swore it was an HO kit.

          I had never seen one before, but if it was true, I'd love to have one on the layout.

          Best wishes,

          F. John
        • michael lynch
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 1, 2008
            --- In Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.com, "F. John LaBarba" <fjohnlab@...>
            wrote:

            > Frank,
            > Thanks for setting me straight! I thought that may of been the case,
            but recently saw one sell on ebay, and the seller swore it was an HO
            kit. I had never seen one before, but if it was true, I'd love to have
            one on the layout.
            > Best wishes,
            > F. John

            John, unfortunately my master kit list, from files section, does not
            show whether it was made in either scale...HO or O. Sorry about that.
            Yes the guy on ebay swore it was HO scale in the text, your right.
            mike
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 1, 2008
              --- In Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.com, "F. John LaBarba" <fjohnlab@...> wrote:

              > Frank,
              >
              > Thanks for setting me straight! I thought that may of been the case, but recently saw one
              > sell on ebay, and the seller swore it was an HO kit.
              >
              > I had never seen one before, but if it was true, I'd love to have one on the layout.
              >
              > Best wishes,
              >
              > F. John

              If you do not have a first issue of the HO Sonora Store a rerun is coming along shortly and it
              makes a great bar with another shop next to it or all bar if you wish. The original in Sonora
              California had an opium den in the basement!

              Tom
            • Phil Morrow
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 1, 2008
                --- In Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Yorke" <tomyorke@...> wrote:

                > If you do not have a first issue of the HO Sonora Store ........ The
                original in Sonora California had an opium den in the basement!

                > Tom

                Personal experience you're relating there Tom ?
                Eventful evenings from the Age of Aquarius - '70's ??

                Phil Morrow
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 2, 2008
                  --- In Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.com, "Phil Morrow" <pmo77304@...> wrote:

                  > --- In Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Yorke" <tomyorke@> wrote:
                  > >

                  > > If you do not have a first issue of the HO Sonora Store ........ The
                  > original in Sonora California had an opium den in the basement!
                  > >
                  > > Tom
                  > >

                  > Personal experience you're relating there Tom ?
                  > Eventful evenings from the Age of Aquarius - '70's ??
                  >
                  > Phil Morrow

                  First of all Phil, I cannot comment on that because there may be a remote possibility that I
                  may run for president some day and I do not want that to come back to haunt me. That
                  said.....................

                  I visited Sonora in the early 70's and searched the town for the structure so I could get
                  more details prior to modeling it. It was not to be found. The city hall was open so I
                  inquired therein. I was told I was in luck because the town historian was in. He related the
                  story to me as follows; back in around 1960 there was a town effort to save the structure.
                  Sort of the first awareness of historical architecture and preservation for the town. The city
                  fathers were against the plan. They wanted the nasty old building razed to make room for
                  a parking lot for the Post Office! The town was at a standoff. So to handle the situation the
                  town fathers took things into their own hands one night. When the town folks awoke the
                  next morning they found a pile of bricks and a bulldozer on the property where once the
                  store stood! Needless to say this was the first and last time the town fathers did anything
                  such since. Now they wouldn't dare! However, the damage was done and the store gone.
                  He also told me about the Chinese and the opium door at the front of the structure. What
                  great history. But alas..... the town fathers needed a new parking lot

                  .... and that's the way it was,
                  Tom
                • Darryl Huffman
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 2, 2008

                    I grew up in Armona, California, which was a small town that had big potential for the SP around 1905. There was a large "Chinatown" in Armona that was abandoned when the SP decided to build their main yards in Bakersfield instead of Armona.

                    Chinatown was a favorite playground for us as kids. Lots of underground tunnels leading up into gambling rooms and such. The old hotel's attic had little wooden "beds" about 12 inches off the ground. We had no idea what they were. As kids we never heard of opium dens.

                    When I got my first real Nikon camera in 1971, I went back to Armona to take photos of Chinatown.

                    When I arrived, it was gone. About 6 months earlier the volunteer fire department burnt it all to the ground for practice. Plus this made the land available for subdivisions. $$$$

                    I was very disappointed, of course. But the townspeople had lots of interesting stories about all the opium bottles found after the fire. Apparently no-one knew there were opium dens in the attics.

                    A lot of my love for old ramshackled wooden buildings comes from playing in Chinatown as a kid.

                    I never found anyone who took any photos of Chinatown before it was burned. It exists only in my memory.

                    Darryl Huffman
                    12020 Old Seward Highway
                    Anchorage, AK 99515
                    darrylhuffman@...

                    A link to my layout photos:

                    http://www.darrylhuffman.50megs.com/index_1.html

                  • F. John LaBarba
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 2, 2008

                      I am looking foreword to see what you do with your new version.

                      The " Sonora Store " has always been one of my favorites. I am familiar with the site upon
                      which the building once stood, also that pioneer modeler Al Armitage once did a 1/4 scale
                      model of the building in styrene.

                      You can see my version in the photos section under LaBarba's Work #2, and at the Yorke
                      pics list in the files section under John LaBarba.

                      I had to alter my model due to the fact that the previous owner had cut off the partial arch
                      detail on the front elevation. Of course, I didn't know this until I went to build it.

                      I picked up on the Opium den aspect, and used the Chinese figure and sign-age. An article
                      that I wrote about the whole affair was featured in the Oct. 2001 issue of Railroad Model
                      Craftsman.

                      Can't wait to see your new one, and put me on your list if there is still room!

                      Best wishes,

                      F. John LaBarba
                      Santa Cruz, CA
                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 2, 2008
                        --- In Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.com, "F. John LaBarba" <fjohnlab@...> wrote:

                        > Tom,
                        >
                        > I am looking foreword to see what you do with your new version.
                        >
                        > The " Sonora Store " has always been one of my favorites. I am familiar with the site
                        upon
                        > which the building once stood, also that pioneer modeler Al Armitage once did a 1/4
                        scale
                        > model of the building in styrene.
                        >
                        > You can see my version in the photos section under LaBarba's Work #2, and at the Yorke
                        > pics list in the files section under John LaBarba.
                        >
                        > I had to alter my model due to the fact that the previous owner had cut off the partial
                        arch
                        > detail on the front elevation. Of course, I didn't know this until I went to build it.
                        >
                        > I picked up on the Opium den aspect, and used the Chinese figure and sign-age. An
                        article
                        > that I wrote about the whole affair was featured in the Oct. 2001 issue of Railroad Model
                        > Craftsman.
                        >
                        > Can't wait to see your new one, and put me on your list if there is still room!
                        >
                        > Best wishes,
                        >
                        > F. John LaBarba
                        > Santa Cruz, CA

                        Oh yes! I remember your photos. Didn't know it was you. I thought your version was a
                        really nice rendition of the structure. I worked with Al Armitage as far as details and other
                        reference for my kit. He was very helpful and always willing to help. If it weren't for him, I
                        would never have known what the rear of the structure looked like.

                        Tom
                      • F. JOHN LABARBA
                        Message 11 of 11 , Mar 3, 2008
                          Darryl,

                          Thats a great story!

                          How many of us can say the same thing has happened.
                          I have kicked myself more that once for not photographing a building,
                          and then it was gone.

                          Best wishes,

                          F. John