Re: [Yorke_Kits] Ivy on buildings

  • Nick Thompson
    Message 1 of 37 , Aug 15, 2007
      Mike,

      On Aug 15, 2007, at 7:51 AM, Mike Conder wrote:
      > I think this may be directed to Mike Lynch (aka madmike), but
      > interested in all answers.
      >
      > I've been perusing the photos in the site, and noticed a number of
      > buildings with ivy or other vining plants climbing their corners.
      > These look great! So I'm wondering how they were done, since most
      > model ivy I've seen is fairly flat and these are very open and 3D,
      > like
      > real ivey.

      Some brands of scotchbrite nylon scouring pads can be pulled apart
      slightly to form a loose mesh, this can then be cut with scissors and
      sprayed with 3M sprayfix, and dipped in a scatter of your choice.
      There are other ways, but with experimentation and references (either
      real or photos) this is a good approach in the smaller scales. Noch
      have some scatters that look like leaves, mix a few different colors
      and paint after to get good tonal variation.

      For O scale foreground structures there are some O etches for both
      vines and ivy from the UK but I am not sure these merit either the
      hassle or expense.

      Last I looked which was 3 years ago these were carried by
      International Hobbies in Auburn, CA.

      There is also an eastern european company that sells laser cut leaves
      if you want to go over the top, these are designed for 1/35th scale
      and 1/48 scale military models (two separate ranges). Look great
      scattered around a fall scene.

      Tasca in Japan (they made the definitive 1.35th British Sherman
      Firefly kit last year) have a nice range of flowers and ferns for
      1.35th. Not what you were asking, but...

      http://www.tasca-modellismo.com/english/item4.html

      These are probably available from Scott Hards at Hobby Link Japan
      (http://www.hlj.com). Bear in mind shipping costs as much as the
      item sometimes, unless you want to wait a couple months for surface
      shipping, but HLJ are great to deal with.

      Hope this helps.

      Nick
    • michael lynch
      Message 37 of 37 , Sep 26, 2007
        --- In Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.com, "michael lynch" <mike350@...>
        wrote:

        > --- In Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.com, "michael lynch" <mike350@>
        > wrote:
        > > > NEW june 7 #103 THE BRICK STORE.....0 scale in photos section
        > > under #103 the brick store...the pictures of this for the kit are
        > > really poor and this structure has a lot more going on in it than
        > the pictures show....i was surprised when i opened the box and
        > inspected the kit and saw that great front wall. I have constructed
        a rough cut stone foundation for it and will put a scribed simulated
        > wood floor in it, so the roof can come off and possible interior
        > detail shown.
        > > This would also look great as an abandoned building all boarded
        up frontage. Only 100 of these were ever made. I am thinking i should
        > be able to offer this at around $95--110 area. Who is
        > interested ? If you wish to be on the list of interested persons
        > have these re- released, drop me an email... madmike3434

        XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX