Re: [Yorke_Kits] New to list ...

  • Craig Kanewske
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 6, 2007
      From: "The Rev. Dr. Edward J. Mikel, Jr." <arcto@...>
      To: <Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Sunday, February 04, 2007 6:39 PM
      Subject: [Yorke_Kits] New to list ...

      > Actually, the name is "ed," if you please ....
      >SNIP<>
      > I have dozens -- literally -- of TY kits, some dupliKits. Awaiting the
      day for a 1/4" fine-scale
      > interurban and trolley layout. Have the space. Tons of it. Have the
      time. Not much, even
      > tho I have been retired for eight years.
      > SNIP<
      > There ya have it.
      >
      > ed

      Welcome to the list Ed. It's pretty quiet around here now---Tom is putting
      in forced labor down in the dungeon and we're all anxiously hanging around
      the top of the stairs. Waiting.

      Sounds like you've got enough Yorke stuff to build a good sized Yorkeville
      or such. Think your layout will have one big town or several outlying
      areas?

      (I suppose you know about the YorkePics, YorkeTrux groups and the website).

      Craig Kanewske
    • Edward Mikel
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 7, 2007
        Knew about Yorke Website -- not the other two. Thanks for the
        pointers. It is why one joins a group. ;-)

        Exactly .... set in the midwest. One "big" town and several "road
        crossing" towns. Fictional interurban and trolley lines. Fictional
        town names. But ... "real" ... is the concept. I am thinking of
        setting it up, colorwise, to light for night with blue track
        lighting. Lighting interiors of everything.

        Kits for buildings from some other sources too. For a period of
        time, I was obsessed with this concept, but did not have time to
        execute it. Now I have the time, almost ...

        50's era freight cars too ... CHOOCH (when they were $29.95) and
        WILLIAM CLOUSER. Early diesels ... from CENTRAL LOCOMOTIVE KITS
        (some *still* in kit form).

        Kit bashed LABELLE 51' interurban kits into motor cars, trailers,
        combines and freight motors using KEMTROM sprung trucks and NW
        SHORTLINE "magic carpet" drives. Ditto a bunch of imported brass
        KIDDER two- and single-truck Birneys.

        So there will be one big town ... and three or four hole-in-the-wallers.

        A dozen WALTERS circus flats, WALTERS passenger cars (I think four or
        five). Enough circus wagons to fill the flats and then some. So at
        the large town, there with be a scene of Section I of a circus train
        unloading. Section II going around and around in a holding pattern
        forever.

        The large town has trolley's.

        Interurbans running through the country, side of road, et al, per
        "The Interurban Era". I have "read" that book to pieces. Ditto "The
        Circus Moves by Rail".

        Like Tom, I have too much to do quite yet to croke ...

        Edward Mikel
        arcto@...

        "Christianity is a wonderful regligion. Christians ought to try it."
        --- Mahatma Gandhi